+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's In a Name

The Ariel I just purchased came without a name. After much thought I've decided to name her "Althea." The name comes from a poem about love and freedom by the English poet, Richard Lovelace called "To Althea, from Prison." Richard Lovelace just happens to be in my ancestral line as a great great...great uncle. He lived from 1618-1658.

In "The Heat of The Night" , Althea was detective Tibbs' wife .

Ebb, I have to agree that something dignified and poetic is more fitting on an Ariel than the "cute" names.

A close look at the transom on #66 reveals her first name, "Escape." Perhaps more dignified than other names, but too common in my opinion.

Ketos is Greek for "sea monster". Ketea is the plural. From these we get the Latin Cetus and Cetacea. I think the latter are more common than the former. All are nice names and are on my short list.

Then there is "Becky Ann" (after the wife), "Dorothy Norma" (each by itself or both together--after my grandmothers).

Dreaming up names is a good way to pass the time until the ice thaws...

I'm so young that I just might keep Dream Weaver on #113. It's probably the closest thing to a royalty check Gary Wright will see these days!

I thought it was cool back in the late 1970's when the really fast big boats here on the Bay were named such things as "Lois Lane" and "Clark Kent." We even have a local Ariel that is named "Lickety Split."

It warms the cockles of me heart
    just to hear that name again.

Yeah, it's whatever is right for the boat
    and makes you feel warm when you say it...
    or maybe it's cool. Ayedono. SeaYa.
    Last edited by ebb; 03-04-2003 at 09:30 PM.

IF I had a really fast boat , a sled , it would have to be named "Blue Bayou" . I may name my double proa that if I can ever get it finished !
    19.5' boat ,14'beam , 36' mast , 800 lbs .

Near where we keep Pathfinder there is a large stink pot that my wife gets a chuckle out of every time we pass by. Lisa is an engineer and project manager and we she sees that large stern with "Change Order" with the contractors lic. number under it she just says "how appropriate".

So Mike are you suggesting that instead of Althea, the boat should be called "Detective Tibbs' wife"? Or how about Mrs. Tibbs!

Miz Tibbsea? Naw. In no other langwhich can you have so much fun naming a boat! Using the serial number is definitely a refuge. 338 has one sure new candidate, but it won't be said until launch time just in case.

Change Order. Now there is a perfect example of the hole-in-the-water adage - into which you pour money.

Althea has soul. Like the Ariel.

Pathfinder. Well, you didn't choose: Last of the Mohegans. or, Deerslayer - how come? please, just kidding! J.F.C. did invent a character named: Bumppo; could be useful.

What are you guys? all a bunch of English lit majors?
    Need some more fabric samples here!
    Last edited by ebb; 03-05-2003 at 07:36 AM.

Tom purchased #91 already named Wayward Star. He was a very superstitious kind of guy and thought it bad luck to change the name. So Wayward Star she was, is, and shall be named.
    God knows she shines and the life we led living on her and sailing her off the beaten path all those years, Wayward is quite fitting also.

I guess I have to add my two cents.

I do have an ice boat, an Arrow, factory number 69, and the name of the boat, Bill, is Lickety Split.

My boat, Solksken (pronounced "Sewell Shen") is Swedish for sunshine, fairweather, which, strange as it may sound, is what I like best, both on the water and in life. The boat flag is a white & yellow sun on a blue background - Swedish colors. When I was shopping for a boat back in the '60s, I was really looking for a Swedish Folkbot and almost bought one, when the surveyor gave me a strong note of caution. The Ariel was the second choice.

I haven't seen any others with that name - so it is readily discernable.

The original name was Our Glass, which was sort of neat.

One of my favorite names in the harbor is "Cooler by the Lake".

I decided to name my "new in 2001" thirty-six year old Pearson Ariel before I knew that she had two previous names. When I adopted her from the Sea Scouts, her transom was blank. The name that I chose for the boat was Augustine. Augustine is a character in my novel, "The Final Mercy". In that book, Augustine is a white female pigeon and the leader of the West Cliff Flock. Augustine represents the idealized concept of the beloved.

In the paragraph below from that novel, Auggie is also a pigeon. Pigeons provide comic relief in a very serious novel about love, death, mercy, a group of aging California surfers, and a thirty-foot boat designed by Carl Alberg. It is also worthy of note that in real life, a family of pigeons once emerged from a nest built in hull 330's lazarette locker.

The thoughts expressed below are Auggie's own thoughts. They do not reflect the viewpoint of the skipper.

"The leader of the West Cliff flock was a beautiful white bird name Augustine. Auggie had always been attracted to her, not only because of her dazzling white features and demure little orange eyes, but also because they were both named after the same Catholic saint, or perhaps it was because they were both named after Caesar Augustus, or perhaps it was because they were both named after the month in which they were both born, but the why of it was of no matter. Augustine's name and Auggie's name were very much the same, and that gave Auggie a feeling of affinity to Augustine, even though his affection for her was not reciprocated."
    Scott

Scott, Great story. I wondered how you came up with the name Augustine. Your description now has filler in the blanks. After reading the attached paragraph I am pleased to read that the thoughts do not reflect the view of the skipper and would hope the thoughts of Agustine are not directed towards the skipper as well.

and that gave Auggie a feeling of affinity to Augustine, even though his affection for her was not reciprocated."

Thanks Ed, but I am not so sure about my affection for my boat being reciprocated at the moment. I rather imagine that Augustine is rather angry with me for taking her out yesterday afternoon under full sail in what proved to be a very ill wind. Blew out her jib I did, but then again, I gave her a well deserved fresh water bath when I came in, and this afternoon I am heading to the sail loft with a pile of tattered Dacron. It was very interesting out there yesterday. I must say that I have never before heard the wind scream that loud in the rigging...and by the way there was once a white pigeon in the flock that hangs out at the cliffside bench at the end of Merced Street.
    Scott

Kuan Yin

Having been involved with Asian culture for some 30 years with my Martial Art Teaching/Training, I became familar with some of the Taoist Deites ( saints )
    Kuan Yin is the name of a Taoist goddess. Sometimes represented by a picture her riding a dragon on a sea of water and clouds. She represents the spirt of Mercy and Compassion, she is the Eastern counterpart to "Mary".
    I figured since this was my first boat, I could use as much mercy and compassion as possible while out on the water, so Kuan Yin was a good name...
    To error is human
    To Sail is divine... Book of French

+ Reply to Thread