Thread: Epoxy VS. Polyester

Threaded View

Epoxy VS. Polyester

I've used West System epoxy extensively in, on and around Commander hull #215. In the five years I've had my boat I've gone through at least 5 gallons of resin and used all of the hardeners and fillers in that line. I've had nothing but good luck with West, and I think their literature is excellent and gave me the information required to get the most out of their high quality product.

My remaining intrest in polyester is a result of the huge disparity in price and working properties of air inhibited resins. With West at about 100.00 a gallon for resin and hardner and laminating resin at $35.00 a gallon I'd like to see if I could get the same results with the less expensive product , after all, my Commander started it's nearly 40 year life as a polyester boat. Price aside, it would seem that for working overhead, repairing core and building laminates, that a resin that remained tacky on its surface would enable one to build layers up more easily and with a slower more complete mechanical bond the result. All this without having to wash the amine blush off and a frosty sanding. Less work!

Does anyone know of a good technical guide for working with polyester resin? I have Paul Petricks book "Fiberglass Repairs", its pretty good but I'd like something along the lines of the Gougeon Bros. technical manuals. Can you use the same fillers for polyester as you can for epoxy? Anyone with info or experience, please weigh in on the relative merits of these two products, shared knowledge and saved money may be the result.
    Cheers B.
    Commander #215
    Last edited by Bill; 02-26-2003 at 08:47 AM.