+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epoxy VS. Polyester

Hybrid View

sticky subject

I have never heard that polyester chemically bonds to itself. Unless you are doing wet laminations with unwaxed poly.

Polyester is NOT a glue.

Epoxy is a glue. And if somebody wants to call dry layers of epoxy 'mechanical' so be it. My research says epoxy sticks a lot better to cured polyester than polyester does.

The epoxy I used does not have a chemical smell. Has no solvents in it. Doesn't shrink, doesn't blush, cures at 40 degrees on up.

Polyester styrene will kill you. You need 70 degrees for a successful cure. Acetone, your solvent of choice, and MEK will melt your brain cells. I would rather have a mechanical cure (what the hell is the matter with that?) than a chemical. What's that anyway?

This is not to say that polyesters don't have their place in well ventilated work spaces for projects like seahoods, hatch covers and tanks.

Please show us(me) where polyester is the prefered refit material.
    Polyester based vinylester is a better adhesive, used in molded boats as the first layer in the mold (I hear) But again, if it's a barrier coat after that fact you use an epoxy. It is more waterproof. Vinylester is used for handmade gas tanks, but it's because modern gasoline attacks epoxy.
    Last edited by ebb; 09-30-2015 at 07:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread