+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boarding Ladders

Bill,

Thanks for the reference to the Wichard site. They make great products.

There is a rather radical difference between my boarding ladder and the one pictured on the Wichard page.

The Wichard ladder has a single point of attachment, and uses webbing steps that resemble mast steps. From the photograph on the Wichard page, the topmost step is somewhat below the sheer line.

In the system that I designed and built specifically for my Ariel, The ladder is located adjacent to cockpit at the best place to board the boat from the water, since the hull is fairly vertical there, and there are satisfactory adjacent hand holds on deck (deck-level lifeline terminals, and teak coaming boards). The ladder attaches to two through-deck-mounted eye bolts on deck, which are approximately one foot apart (the length of the ladder rungs)

My emergency boarding ladder has a yellow lanyard with a loop sewn into the end. That lanyard is suction-cupped to the outside of the hull, so that it won't blow back up onto the deck in the wind. As long as the suction cup is wet, it seems to stay fixed on the hull beneath the rub rail during a sail, even when the rail is buried.

When one pulls downward on the lanyard, the ladder unrolls. Standing on the bottom rung of the ladder will place a crew member at a level where the toe rail is at slightly above knee level and will provide the crewmember with two handholds.
    There are three rungs on each ladder. The ladder rungs are made of PVC pipe with 1/4 inch Dacron line threaded through them. The top step is just below the sheer line. The ladder is attached to the through-deck bolted eyebolts at the forward and aft edges of the boarding steps by carabiner. The ladder is packed inside a perforated soft plastic sheet, which unrolls to protect the hull when the ladder is in use and serves to aid in rolling and securing the ladder.

I do not at present have any photos of the ladder in its deployed state. I will endeavor to take some photos and post them later.
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 03-27-2003 at 10:19 PM.
    Scott

Pete, I noticed your boarding ladder. What kind is it? How do you like it? How did you mount it? And where can you get it?
    We only have a rope ladder now, and for a big out of shape guy like me it's almost impossible to get back on after a swim. My wife is getting me one for Christmas (so she can swim with us) so any help would be great!
    mike

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    That's a Garelick 4 step boarding ladder. You need to through-bolt the mounts for it into the deck. You may be able to see the mounts in the picture below, just behind the midship cleat.

I had the same ladder before, which eventually corroded. One leg broke when I was climbing it. In addition, the bottom step only reaches just below the waterline, so its not especially convenient to get out of the water.

So, I can't say its a great ladder.

The cheapest price I found was at Boater's World. It comes with the mounts.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/366480051.htm

Storage is another problem. The ladder wont fit through the cockpit locker hatch.

A 3 step + 2 step folding ladder would be nice, if they make such a thing.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by commanderpete; 12-20-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Hey what about this one, It's called the Folding Latch Type Swim Ladder - 3-6.
    It folds, and it hooks on to the side of the boat. I guess I would have to put backing plates on the hardware. This one is also made by Garelick for around $178. http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=12048
    this one has 6 steps so maybe it would go below the water line enough to allow for easier boarding.
    What do you think?
    mike
    Attached Images  

FWIW, I'm thinking of something similar, but mounted off the stern and folds up to and attaches to the stern rail when not deployed. You don't have to worry about where to stow it, and then a line could be rigged when solo sailing so you can grab it from the water. I'll have to find a picture...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Mike

I'm sure you've already run across this site (bristol 29, I believe). This chap has incorporated a ladder into the push pit and is the very similar to what we're having fashioned for 113. I do like your idea of a trip line dragging behind and may need to make some alterations before they start cutting and welding. Thanks for doing your part to keep the project continually expanding.

Tony G
    Attached Images  

The only problem I might see with the stern mount is on the Ariel, doesn't the stern "fold back" under the hull too far for the stand-offs? But I do like the placement! It's nice and out of the way!
    mike

CommanderPete,

First, having glanced again through your thread I have to complement you on your excellent photography. You are a credit to this forum, I wish I was able to take pictures nearly as well as you.

The nicest ladder I have come across was installed on Ariel Spirit (#3). Of all the excellent hardware that came with this boat when I delivered it, the ladder was the one piece that came nearest not making it to the new owners (conscience is so darn unhandy).

Not exactly sure why it is on it's side, but I can't seem to modify it.... just tilt your head.

It folds up to a very small package, but because of the way it is made it does not try to fold under when you step aboard. Not sure of the mfg, but if anyone learns where one could be had I would sure like to get one.

__________________________________________________ _

OBTW, great things have been happening with A-3, look forwar to her Capt, can finding some time to post the pictures.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    That's a neat ladder. I looked for collapsible boarding ladders and only found this one in England

http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/Life-...nufacturer.htm

There are a couple of reasonably priced ladders here in stainless, dont know who makes them (scroll down)

http://www.popeyesmarine.com/Marine%20Gear.htm

Lots of ladders on ebay

One problem with a side mount ladder is that people won't be able to resist yanking on the lifeline stantion as they come aboard
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 11-10-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Say Mike...

You planning on doing much swimming in Maine?

I've tried it

Brrrrrrrrr
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    Mike
    I'm sure you've already run across this site (bristol 29, I believe). This chap has incorporated a ladder into the push pit and is the very similar to what we're having fashioned for 113. I do like your idea of a trip line dragging behind and may need to make some alterations before they start cutting and welding. Thanks for doing your part to keep the project continually expanding.
    Tony G
    Here's the picture:
    http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/a...1&d=1194561505

Tony, if you'd post more pictures of 113 I'm sure you'd get a lot more help from the forum in that department.
    Last edited by Bill; 11-09-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Mike

Anyway, I've been thinking about a stern boarding ladder similar to the one below on a CD25. I like that it is rigid, and how the bend let's it snug up to the stern rail when stored. However, after a little reading on the subject last night, a number of people say climbing a stern ladder in rough conditions is quite difficult - and dangerous as the stern is jumping up and down with the wave action. Still, I like the idea of having it always available and not having to dig it out of a cockpit locker when you need it.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 11-09-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Mike

No kidding CPete! Yes, swimming in Maine stinks, but the kids don't know any different...
    Last edited by Bill; 11-09-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Mike

A couple more options:

Maybe this one from Garelick could be hung off the transom and folded up when not needed. WM sells it for $88.99. They have all sorts of variations. I like this one for its small size and cost.

On the other hand, I'd hate to mess with that pretty after section...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

Next up, from Bosun Supplies, a telescoping version. This is nice because you could mount it up nearer the taff rail, so it's out of the way. A couple of extra steps can only help when trying to get on board. This goes for $137/$156 under/over platform, whatever that means. Also comes with a "No Hassle Guarantee & Lifetime Warranty"...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread