+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boarding Ladders

Hybrid View

The Mystic Stainless Boarding Ladder is the RollsRoyce of side mount folding ladders.
    They are meant to be used with reinforced lifeline stanchions.
    A 6 footer (we need at least two rungs in the water to get a leg up) is $788,
    no amenities included like rung liners and connectors.
    The Foldaway may also have a weight issue and a stowage problem if you want to take it off.

But that imco defeats its real use which is MOB rescue. Should always be instantly available.

There is a Markus LifeNet that can be pulled from its cover with a tether by a m o b.
    Have not researched this one. Not a very informative site for me.

It's a good thought to have a rope net with all kinds of hand holds and many spaces to shoove in a foot for climbing back on board. They have one that seems too small and a four foot long one that looks like the right idea to me
    BUT it's marketed for rescue and as a injury litter. Has floats in neon red and probably has a stiff pricetag.
    I think that for us we just want to get reattached to the boat.

Anybody who has seen WWII navy footage remembers men scrambling up and down huge 'cargo' nets drapped on the sides of ships. I know I always thought hell I could do THAT.

SO maybe this is the time for a Hervey Garrett Smith inspired rope net or nylon webbing that could be bundled up neatly, pulled open easily from the water - and from the deck - and used casually as needed and specifically as a safety for a surprised, sputtering, upset senior.
    It's a different concept to have a bunch of material to grab, get an arm in, get a leg wrapped around.

Than a hoity-toity 316 folding ladder that'll disappear from your boat when you're not looking.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
    Way later edit:
    CommanderPete at post 37 gives us the only source I've seen where a longer (5 and 6 step) TELESCOPING ladder can be found. Dive N Dog is an interesting site. Haven't spent time there to form an opinion. They sell a host of ladder stuff. I'm guessing it comes from the orient. A long and wide telescoper with triple wall tube ('Prestige' model, which I would go for) will be pretty heavy. The vendor is in Florida, so shipping and maybe having to return the purchase is a real consideration. The stainless used MUST be 316 for all parts.
    Anybody looking into DiveNDog????
    Last edited by ebb; 07-17-2011 at 07:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread