+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Well

outboard well

I have a 9.9 Yamaha outboard on the stern of Wayward Star.
    Though it has been an excellent outboard, it is for the most part only used to get out of a jam or in and out of a tight harbor.
    We never liked the weight on the stern, though we had a sturdy backing plate.
    Tom had always raised it out of the water. Now, since he is no longer with us, I have had to deal with it alone.I can raise it all the way up, but it is too heavy for me to tilt it out of the water. And I don't want the shaft left in the water. So the present situation is unacceptable for me .
    Ideally, I would get another inboard.
    Realistically , I want a quick fix. So I thought I would get a smaller outboard to go on the stern, But then I am reading here about the outboard well.
    I'd like info on this well. If the boat didn't come with an out board, then I quess we are talking major alterations back there?
    And if you are out in rough waters and need some headway, I can't imagine having the stern locker hatch open. Am I missing something? Would appreciate some feedback.

Inboard model boats had no "well" in the lazarette. Having one installed would likely not be a major operation, but it would be a good idea to have another boat to look at.

A Commander (same hull) sailed from Southern California to the Med with an outboard. In fact, I believe the engine was left in place and the well open, even in storms. Not sure I would be comfortable with that. We ran the story in the Newsletter last year (check your back issues). Still, for an ocean voyage, I would go for the inboard if you can afford it. Around here, the cost is about $6k using a new Yanmar Diesel.
    BTW - The manual has an engine hoist in the appendix that would help you getting the outboard in and out of the well.

See the outboard discussion elsewhere for info on a light weight replacement.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    If you run a short loop of line to the metal handle of the engine, it will give you more leverage in pulling the engine up, and you dont have to lean over the stern so much. I learned this trick on a boat I rented in San Diego once.

I would also make sure the outboard engine bracket and tilt mechanism on the outboard is nicely greased up.

I assume the engine bracket has a good torsion spring to make lifting the engine easier.

As far as tilting the engine goes, maybe a loop of line around the back of the engine might help. Naturally, you dont want any line that could dangle in the water and foul the prop.

I'm just trying to think of the easiest fix first. A Yamaha 9.9 is a great engine. If you go with a smaller outboard, someday you might regret it. No way would I recommend major surgery to cut out an engine well.

West Marine sells a outboard engine tilter that hooks on to the top of the engine cover ($55.00) But, it doesnt look great to me.

Thumbs down

There was a newsletter article about the dangers of hanging an ob on the transom of an Ariel or Commander. One of our West Coast members almost went overboard in some choppy conditions trying to reach the engine. In addition, the prop of the transom mounted engine kept coming out of the water in even less rough conditions. After that experience, they put the engine back in the well. Transom mounting is ok if conditions are "normal," but things can get dangerous if conditions turn ugly.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Somebody at my boat yard had the same idea for a lifting handle. Looks like he braided some three strand line and used a bit of hose for the handle.
    Attached Images  

Thanks for the suggestions, comments, recommendations.

I agree the immediate solution will be a devise to help me lift and tilt that OB.

I use to call that 9.9 Yamaha "our baby". She started up no problem after YEARS of minimal use. Now, since I found I can't manage the engine alone, she is referred to as "the monster".
    Long term, I'm leaning heavily on reinstalling an inboard. Thinking a 1 -cylinder Yenmar would be sufficient.?

Another alteration I want to make is to be able to raise and lower the sails from the cockpit. Anything to help me single hand this boat. I'm looking for EASIER and SAFER ways of doing things.

And...I am looking for some type of self steering mechanism.

And....And... And...
    Last edited by Janice Collins; 04-16-2002 at 03:28 PM.

SELF STEERING & COCKPIT CONTROL

OK, for these next subjects, let's start a couple of new threads:

1- Self Steering
    2 - Cockpit led sail controls

Outboard Well

I recently bought an engineless Commander that came from the factory with an Atomic 4. When time, money and motivation converge, I will likely replace the lost engine. Until then, it’s an outboard. Two options are presented (1) mount the thing on the transom, or (2) cut a hole through the hull and cabbage together some kind of outboard well in the lazarette.

I read the organization’s manual and the dangers of transom-mounted outboards, so it seems the the motor should go in the lazarette. This presents a few questions: how does one go about installing the well in the lazarette? Have any members done this? Does anyone have patterns for this type of work? I’m a bit leery of sawing a hole in the hull and wonder what words of caution people can share.

The last Good Old Boat magazine contains an article by James Baldwin showing how he cut out a motor well for an Islander 28. Very nice work, but a major project.

This may be blasphemy, but I would probably go with a transom mount with your situation. Maybe get one of those throttle arm extensions I've seen in the West Marine catalog.

I kind of thought I'd get that response. Outboard is not a long term solution so I don't want to expend too much time or money. Likely start with an old Chrysler Sailor 6hp, maybe 75 pounds, a pain to start, and a throttle that doesn't always stay where I'd like it to. Access to motor controls therefore fairly important. Any tips on beefing up the transom, backing plates, etc.? Thanks again.

I once saw another Commander with an inboard engine on stands in a local yard. I looked at it out of curiousity. It seem as though the well plug had been glassed in...there were faint lines were the well would exit.

I would check your lazarette to see how thay filled that hole...The hole had to exist in the molds

Question plug for outboard well

Anyone have a plug for his/her outboard well? Is it made to be easily removed and replaced? How is it constructed? What holds it securely in place? Does it keep water out of the OB well? Is there any noticable difference in how the boat moves through the water with the OB well plugged? I am thinking about constructing a plug for the opening and would appreciate any input or photos. Thanks.

Someone was going to reproduce the plug from an original, but ran into physical problems from inhaling too many of those esthers, or whatever. Click on the search button above and enter outboard well plug, or variations, and you should find the information.

looking for photos

Back on 6-19-03, after Bill's response, I went back and searched the previous posts for information on the plug for the outboard well. I could have sworn there were some photos posted but I cannot find them again. Does anyone have photos of their outboard well plug available to post? I'd love to see views of the plug installed and by itself.
    Thanks in advance.

I will get some photos of the plug when I'm at the boat on Saturday, and then post them here. If someone else does not post first.

+ Reply to Thread