+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: A-228 - GEOFF's AUSSIE PHOTO GALLERY

More progress on the sprit -- dual rollers and a windless . . .
    Attached Images  

From below . .
    Attached Images  

Another sprit view
    Attached Images  

The windless drive . .
    Attached Images  

Some trim additions to the engine bay
    Attached Images  

This galley photo shows the pin rail and backing above the port quater berth
    Attached Images  

And another view of the "new" bottom!
    Attached Images  

Geoff's Notes

Geoff included a note with the latest bunch of photos. Here is most of it . .

>>>>

Thanks for sending the news. . . great to hear UHURU did the trip under her own steam. Re: Ebb comments on the boat's interior. He recons it's the best in the world. He wants to know how we trecked nto the forest and selected the best trees, etc.,

Truth be known, I just had a picture in my head. I did all the donkey work and Frank the shipwright and his offsider Craig did the fine joinery. They made the sow's ear of a job into a silk purse.

Frank has been my lighthouse on a dark and storym night on many occasions. I can rummage through his scrap pile any time and pinch bits of paint, etc., instead of buying a full tin. He's been great all through the project. Not so the other contractors in the boatyard. Lot's of trouble with them and an indifferent slack owner woh I would dearly like to pick a fight with

I haven't been to the boat for any lenght of time since since late November. We did manage to fit the anchor winch and bow rollers. I have a date with the "sparks" on 10 Jan to do the wiring, put lights where they have to go, etc. She should come alive and out of her coma some time in January, all being well. It will be good to have power aboard, solar panels working, etc.

I have wrote to Tony Benado. What a buzz. I had to appologise fer calling him a crazy yank

Oh yes, getting the old anti-fouling off was a difficult job. It clogged up everything we were using, so we were reduced to chipping it off with wood chisels. Good in a way because the hull below the water line got a thorough going over. That job should have been "first cab off the rank" as soon as she was in the yard. Once we started grinding, damp patches would appear out of the freshly ground glass. All solid now with the full epoxy treatment.

No where near as fair as Ebb's bottom -- sorry, Ebb's boat's botom
    Last edited by Bill; 03-02-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Feb 2005 Update

Leigh Dennis, a friend of Geoff's, writes:

Geoff has asked me to pass on some messages, He has not been to his boat since October last year. His good mate, Roy Booty became ill, and Geoff was caring for him. I am sad to say our old skipper passed away in January and we have found life a trifle difficult to deal with, especially Geoff. His boat is being completed by contractors and he hopes to visit her on Friday of this week. Also the heat at this time of year is only bearable if you are sitting in front of a fan 24/7, that is unless you are a "Colonial" as Geoff puts it (the cheek of the Poms). Geoff hopes to have Uhuru back in the water in about a month.

Now for some colonial humour:

After reading some of the notes on the threads you told me about, can we make a comment on 'Geoff is just outside of Brisbane', we could only wish - to get to Brisbane from here it is about 8 hours and a petrol stop. Geoff is actually in Yeppoon ( closest city being Rockhampton) on the central Queensland coast, next to Shoalwater Bay, military traing ground. Uhuru is at present in Gladstone about 2 hours south of Rockhampton.

To put our skipper to rest, a fleet of yachts are heading north to Pearl Bay, about 50km, on arrival they are having a small ceremony and scattering of the ashes. We have a special guest arriving from England (Roy's daughter) for her final goodbye, Geoff is praying Uhuru will be ready to go.

To date Geoff has not got any more photo's, but will get back to it soon.

Another update:

Geoff is hoping to have Uhuru back in the water by the 29th May, so he can farwell the "Skipper" (Geoff's close friend who died recently) at Pearl Bay. Geoff is now at the wiring stage, to do list includes the painting of the deck, putting on the sail tracks and the decking hardware.

Photos and progress reports are promised . . .

Update

It's been some time since we posted anything from Geoff, but beginning in October of 2005, circumstances intervened that slowed his boat related activities. Here is a transcription of Geoff’s September letter.

= = = = = = = = = =

G'day Bill,

Mate, I don’t have much to report boat wise. My old mate got sick last October and I moved in with him to look after him until he died in January. I took on the job of executor of the will. Never again! will I put my hand up for that job, still sorting through it.

I've had 3 lots of overseas visitors, the last lot left last week, a dear cousin I grew up with in England and her daughter’s family. Absolutely delightful, but no work on the boat, and I've spent my winches and deck hardware on a good time playing tourist - HA!

I have been trying to get work done in my absence, but I keep getting shafted. I told this marine electric mob to wire the boat, fit the radio, etc. The quote was A$2,300 up front and about A$1,000 to finish.

The bastard only asked for A$4,225 and finally settled for A$3,600. How the bloody hell can a bloke budget with that sort of "stuff" going down? I just wanted to punch him, but it hurts my hand when I make a fist . . HA!

Anyway, I"ve paid the sod and I have offered the bank my left testicle and they have agreed to finance the "gallop to the finish line."

The latest photos are on the enclosed CD, but the boat is a bit of a shambles at the moment. We had to take the plate racks out to fit the wiring and plumbing, drill holes, etc. Would you believe the electrician has billed me for a hole saw? Well, the solar panels are charging everything, I can talk on the radio, instruments work and the anchor winch winches. (What a great addition. Push a button and up comes the anchor.)

My mobile home has cost me A$5,000 and six weeks in time. The air-con broke down and I blew a piston on the way back from the boat yard – cracked right through, just acted as an oil pump. Should’a seen the smoke – but I still had to drive it home, fill up the oil and check the fuel. HA!

So, it’s been a hell of a year so far. Busy, busy, busy. I have a house sitting job for a few weeks, then I will get back to the boat, slap some non skid on the decks, anti-foul her bum and chuck her in, unfinished. The main priority is to bet her out of that poxy boat yard. We can motor a fair way home up through the narrows between Curtis Island and the mainland. It's just African Queen country, dries out at low tied, crocks, mozzies, and flies, the lot. But, a sheltered trip. By then, we will have rigged a sail somehow. That’s the plan, anyway.

I still have to screw the hatches down (hinges & catches) and secure the batteries. I have lights that work, but are not mounted, no gas to the cooker and a 101 other bits and pieces. But like I say, priority one is get her out of the boatyard and back into home waters, a friendly yacht club and friendly faces.

The CD includes some photos of our sailing trip to Pear Bay where we interned my mates ashes. His daughter and grand-daughter flew out from England to make the trip. Roy would be happy there. No roads into the place. Seaworthy vessel access only.

The boat we took to Pearl Bay is a Mohle 33. Most of them have a center cockpit. This one is different.

Thanks for the ongoing interest in me and my boat. The association burgee is still flying from the starboard spreader . .. All the best, Geoff

[Posting of Geoff’s photos shortly . . .]

Wiring Photos

The following photos from Geoff mainly track some of the wiring efforts. For example we have:
    Attached Images  

And on to . . .
    Attached Images  

And more wire
    Attached Images  

It continues on . . .
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread