+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: A-228 - GEOFF's AUSSIE PHOTO GALLERY

View of the dodger from aft. Note how far the rails extend forward from the stern rail. (No ID on the occupant )
    Attached Images  

Not sure if this is a sea hood for the maincabin hatch cover or to give Geoff more headroom below
    Attached Images  

The quarterbirth storage lockers are in place.
    Attached Images  

Here are the lockers with one open . .
    Attached Images  

This appears to be the new ice box / refrigerator located below the galley sink.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill; 07-24-2004 at 09:26 PM.

All questions and comments will be downloaded and sent to Geoff for him to read and/or answer.

July is mid winter down under, so Geoff should be able to move foward on his projects. The summer's are much too hot and humid for him to work on the boat. We should therefore be getting more updates in the near future.
    Last edited by Bill; 07-24-2004 at 09:26 PM.

Geoff,

Good to hear from you again. How was summer on the bus? With the new round of photos thoughly digested I've got more questions for you.

1. I can't tell from the pics, did you paint the spreader bases along with the mast. If so, does there need to be some sealant between the two pieces when they go back together? What was your paint of choice for the mast? It looks like it was sprayed on, HVLP?

2. Mast step!! Wow, how'd I miss that the first couuple of times. What is it made of? Did you shave anything off of the mast to accomodate it or stretch the shrouds and stays? What about the four big eye-bolt looking 'jobbies'? How did you come to realization/desicion that arrangement would work best(assuming they are for mast base blocks)?

3. This board discussed headsail furlers awhile back. I've noticed the rather industrial furler on UHURU. What is it? How do you like it?

4. I'm very interested in your seahood and dodger. How did you arrive at the shape for your seahood? Was it laid over a mold/in a mold? Solid fiberglass or glass and wood? What are the dimentions inside the dodger(height and width)? Is your gooseneck fixed or sliding and what is your boom height off of the cabin top?

5. Is that a macerating head peeking through?

She looks great, Geoff. Beautiful stainless work. It appears that you're planning to saill in the worst sea conditions in the world. That's okay by me.
    I noticed the yard looks to be full of boats yet the weather looks most inviting. Is it just normal to pull the boat in winter? I'm ready to move there!

Hey, best wishes and can't wait for an update. Tony G

Lightbulb GEOFF RESPONDS

G' Day Tony G,

Summer in the bus was far too hot and humid to work, I spent four months doing absolutely nothing too strenuous. I entertained three lots of overseas visitors, two lots of "Pom’s" and a mob of Yanks. Sort of an enforced holiday. Then I had to have a holiday to get over the holiday, so I went bush, Byfield Forest, for a couple of weeks, no worries about sharks, the croc’s ate them all!

Then it was bac to the blood boat yeard -- Mate, I didn’t paint the mast at all. Looked OK. Bits of corrosion here and thee and it had a red tip which was peeling, so I slapped a bit more red on. I have a question for you – what the hell is H.V.L.P? Looks like a mispelt cry for assistance.

Mast step is a veneered wooden block with a hole in it to accommodate the mast. A crane pulled the mast out and all was found to be dusty and solid. I found a dime under there and replaced it with a millennium gold medallion. The dime now resides in the maroon velvet bag the medallion came in.

The eye bolts go clean through the deck. Handy tie down points, just wish they were stainless.

Everything was as is when I got the boat. I just pulled it all apart to see if it was "stuffed."

The furler is functional rather than pretty. It too came with the boat. They were being turned out by some yachtie in Arlie Beach -- heavy duty aluminum drum -- nothing fancy, works OK and I like it . . .no, I really like it. Oh, OK! I wouldn't live without it.

The doghouse (seahood & dodger) -- Very scientific that job -- a bit higher and a bit wider than the old canvas pram hood. I made two sides first out of scrap ply. Matched the angles with the cabin front and stuck ‘em on with lots of "seahold" and straps. Laminated some beams. Stuck them on. Made the front panels, made the garage for the companionway hatch and stuck a roof on it. Turned out surprisingly well. Not bad at all for a mug amateur. Wouldn’t do to run a tape measure over it, Mate. I just had to be able to lean on it. Then my mate Gwult (?) fiber glassed the bloody lot and the shipwright painted it.

I do have a sliding gooseneck and I don't know the height of the boom off the cabin top off hand.

Correct on the head. It's a one push button macerating head.

Thanks Tony, I reckon she looks great too. The Stainless is rather good, isn't it. It's full of sticky fingerprints, etc., now tho'.

I’m not planning any epic voyage mate, my main driving force is protection from the elements. I will be living on board a lot of the time. I’ve lived on board for 2-1/2 years or so in the past and I know what wuld make life more pleasant.

The blood boat yard is going through a bit of a change (as they do). It's more of a boat park now. People ring the yard and their boat is in the water when they get here. He's packing them in like sardines, I can’t even walk round my boat at the moment. Like I said, "Bloody Boat Yard."

There isn't an off season here mate. Winter is the pick in the tropics, just bloody perfect at the moment. I may be able to launch soon. Just in time for the cyclone season. Still great sailing weather, but a lot of exciting bits.

Hope I satisfied your curiosity. All the best to you too mate,

Geoff

PS - more photos soon . . .

MORE PHOTOS

We'll start with where we left off -- at the sink/ice box. Here is another view of it.
    Attached Images  

Another view of it.
    Attached Images  

And then the regrigerator itself with ice cube maker . . . Geoff notes: Fridge installed, doesn't look much, does it? It certainly didn't blow my kilt up when I saw it, puny bloody thing. BUT, it's the only one I found that would fit where it had to fit. How the hell do I keep my little ice cube trays in on a prot tack???

My sink drain idea: close the tap, fill the sink, open tap, empy sink. No plug to loose. Close the tap to stop the sea filling the sink on a starboard tack. The drain pipe runs through the insulation straight out through the hull, so the sink drain tap is in effect, a seacock.

The door on the fridge won't fit yet. The fridge isn't exactly square, so the door will have to be a bit . . (of a trapezoid). A blind man on a galloping horse on a stormy night would never notice it I bet it keeps the cold in, tho.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill; 08-30-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Let's try another photo. Here's the forecabin
    Attached Images  

Forecabin with hatch covers in place . . .
    Attached Images  

This photo is . .
    Attached Images  

Sturdy chainplates.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread