+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Discussions

Talking What not to do....

Here is an example of 'what not to do'.

This is a cradle my buddy and I rigged up (of his design) to more Ariel #243
    Using a U-haul car trailer.

(Do not try this at home, these people are trained professionals.)

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

looks easy enuff

but the trailer seems too light weight.the cradle appears easy to build.tell me more about the fasteners-----was it jus' plain'ole 3/8" allthread---what did it cost to build just the cradle---this seems like a good project before the purchase----is it jus' plainole' home depo' standard civilian issue fir wood-
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 06-26-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Hey eric, I know you like sailboats and skydiving. But, its best to keep them seperate

Roll the video

http://www.fridaypage.com/images/fri...06_gravity.wmv

unable to view

the computor at the "bombshelter bar and grill" here at the dz wont show the video.I will see it somewhere else.but I can just imagine----I am about 40-50 miles inland and I promise not to jump outta' any perfectly good botze.

Most Of That Ain'even Jumpin'

most of that is parasailing.I am gunna' have my own landing area rite next to the boat.

How much will a trailer weight in for the Ariel?? I'm going to look at a 1968 tomorrow and hope to get it and plan to take it out of the water for hurricanes!!!! I lost my boat last year. OH...I have a Toyota Sequoia...I think it's rated at 6500lb...is that enough or not??
    Thanks alot...
    Harry
    Last edited by Harry Cowgill; 07-02-2006 at 09:51 AM.

Lightbulb sorry you lost yer' boat

I came close in 2004.hurricane jean destroyed the marina but left me afloat amongst the debris feild.I ended up leaving florida as a result.I may begin construction of a cradle soon as I will be getting the plans from the appendix.once its on a flat bed utility trailor I will just have a tow truck bring it to where I am now.the monthly space rental is so low it matters not what the tow cost would be.depending on where its hauled out it will be between 60-120 miles one way.

Exclamation Heavy towing

I think you may be slightly over your 6500# rating closer to 7000# , My heavy duty 2 axle trailer weighs 1600# alone and it is only a 16' flat bed .
    Save your transmission and hire a truck to tow it , not good to tow right at the maximum load or above for more than a few yards on flat ground.

I was towing a 22' tugboat ( I'm in the process of building ) thursday afternoon, about 12 miles with no trailer brakes. Got real hairy over 45mph and scared the crap outta my wife who was following in our Blazer .
    In the picture is a 22' , 1000lb boat hull on a 1600lb trailer , all well below the rating for the van in front.

When your load equals or exceeds tow vehicle weight , the trailer can takeover and that's when you fishtail , jacknife and flip . The trailer starts to push the tow vehicle and can push your rear right on around . So if you haven't done heavy towing , don't . Hire it out to something heavy .
    Attached Images  

Thanks Guys..I was just dreaming about pulling it with my Sequoia. I will figure some other way to tow it. Well, I'm off to look at the 68 for sale!!!
    Harry

I towed this 2600 lb Santana 22 and 900 lb trailer 450 miles from Vancouver , WA on June 3rd. My van was down, so rented a Ford pickup from Budget, total round trip cost with gas about $335. May seem a little pricey, but not bad to get almost 2 tons (add motor and loads of gear) 450 often mountainous (5000'+ in some cases) miles.(If one smokes in their truck, add $50). Doing in the rain and dark was no picnic!

Bunks and keel tray all nicely felt padded. This trailer has the optional extension tongue equal in length to the trailer + extra roller wheel for launching. The trailer with the extras on it list for over $5000. I got the trailer, boat, 6 bags of sails and a 7.5 Evinrude for $2400 + my transportation costs + $132 for new trailer tires I had put on before I started towing. Total cost for this gear new = about $40,000 per Santana site.

Lights tested negative before leaving. Someone had disconnected the ground wire. That fixed, all lit up fine.

One little oddity. The trailer was custom made for this model, and has surge brakes. Seller said they didn't work, certified by his mechanic. I wasn't concerned because this big Ford had lots of muscle. BUT, the surge brake sure worked/locked when I went to back the rig up my driveway. Seller hadn't mentioned that a lever on the side of tongue had to be thrown for backing.

Last detail: My driveway is gravel and canted downward toward the street. I blocked the wheels with 2 slanted chocks, but wasn't satisfied it might not slip when I bounced around working on her. I put a big cinder block in front of the port wheel chock, and drove railroad spikes againist the block into the old hardened driveway, and all holds well. Now to find time to work on her.

Last edited by xroyal; 07-02-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Eric - drop me a line if you would like to take over my trailer in a month or two. Its a rust bucket and not CA registered but has been holding #400 up for many a year.
    Doug

line dropped

I sent you an email. I am at sc2rom@yahoo.com send your contact info.will be in the inland empire 7/10/06 eric

sugarmagnolia Guest

trailer

Has anyone welded stands to a trailer for their commander?
    Any advise?

I know we need to have the stands at a 90 degree angle to hull.

We are thinking 4 stands and a bow support.
    If we buy the tops only they are around 50 dollars. Haven't seen a source for used ones.

I'm wondering if we bought wedge stands like on ahoycaptain website if they would work to weld to the frame.

Thanks,
    sugarmagnolia

commandertobe Guest

Boat Transport costs

Just as an option to finding a trailer and building a cradle, I have been getting some quotes on hauling a prospective purchase.
    Anyone have any recent experience with boat transport by land? I got quotes of 6 and 4 bucks a mile thus far for the 300 mile journey. Respectfully told the shipper that for 6 bucks a mile I could build my own trailer and do it myself!
    Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I thought I had read somewhere to expect about a buck a mile - maybe adjusted to 2 for current gas prices.

Hummm, another option is the 600 mile sail around the entirety of Michigan... That would be a heckuva shakedown cruise.

Thanks,
    Kyle
    (working hard at relenquishing my boatless-lurker status)

p.s. My MC Scow is for sale at
    http://www.sailboatowners.com/classi...bd=trailerable . No reasonable offer refused!

Search on "transport" to find threads in which this was discussed. As I recall, there was a posting that reported lower mileage costs than your quotes, but maybe that was due to longer distances.

+ Reply to Thread