Thread: Trailer Discussions

Threaded View

Question TRAILERING ARIELS & COMMANDERS

This exchange took place on the Yahoo site and it appeares interesting enough to repost here.
    >>>>>>

Hi, I'm a new member interested in Carl Alberg designs and would like as large a boat as I can safely trailer with a Tahoe or similar SUV. I noticed several pictures of Ariels on trailers on the web and the photo page of the group. Any advice on practicality of pulling an Ariel?
    Thanks, Clay
    >>>>>>

Mike Goodwin writes:
    Pulling isn't the problem if your truck can tow #6000 (boat and trailer + extra gear), launching is the problem. You need a crane in most cases to get the boat off the trailer. Most ramps aren't steep enough to float the boat from the trailer, the wheels would be aprox. 5' underwater and even with a lowboy trailer they would be 4' under. To do it safely you would need a winch on the front bumper to keep the boat from pulling the vehicle into the water too . Around here they charge $100 to crane launch or retrieve a boat .
    >>>>>>

Scott Wallace writes:
    Check with high quality trailer designer and builder, Mike Otto, at TRIAD Trailers...He owns the company, founded by his father, who got blueprints of most of our old "Classic Plastics" from the manufacturers back in the 1960's and 1970's...they make tremendous trailers, well designed and well built. They also offer a launch package, that includes a metal ladder to reach the winch, an extension for the tongue, so that most launch ramps can launch boats like our old Pearson (Alberg designed) Electra, Vanguards, Tritons and Rhodes Rangers.

His shop is located in New Milford, Ct. and I drove there from Cincinnati, Ohio, a few years ago, picked up my new trailer, drove to Cleveland, Ohio, where the travel hoist loaded my boat, then to a smaller lake in South Central Ohio, where launching and retrieval were amazingly easy!
    >>>>>>

Here is their contact info:

Triad Trailers Ltd
    90 Danbury Rd # A
    New Milford, CT 06776-3412
    Phone: (860) 354-1146
    http://www.triadtrailers.com/

Business Types: Trailers Boat, Trailers Equipment & Parts, Boat Dealers, etc.
    Last edited by Bill; 07-25-2004 at 03:32 PM.