+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Discussions

Question trailers Ariel/Cmdr

I have just purchased a Cmdr with no trailer. The boat is in the water at a mooring. I will be using a Catalina-27 trailer to pull the boat but have no idea on how to adjust the supports. How should the bolster pads be positioned for a Cmdr? Does anyoue have a picture of a trailer or some cursory diminsions I could use? Any info would be appreciated.

Wait to posistion the pads when the crane lifts the boat onto the trailer . The Catalina is a fin keel and the Commander is a full keel .
    While the crane hold the boat upright , just slide the pads up to meet the bottom .
    I hope you have a 4 wheel trailer with brakes , you need it .

trailer...

When I got my Ariel it was on a wooden cradle sitting atop a makeshift trailer. The trailer appears to have been a mobile home frame or trailer for moving modular homes. It's double axel and has been modified a bit. I'll try for some pictures this weekend.

I want to get rid of the cradle and weld supports directly onto the trailer frame. This will lower the boat almost 12" . I don't have trailer brakes......but then I can launch it at the end of my driveway (almost). With a tidal range of 18 to 26 feet I can get away without a lift. I think Mike's advice is right on to fit things using the lift and go from there.

You will note that he is in Oklahoma , not much tide range there .
    I have seen a new , 1998 , Ford F-250 4wd , pulled backward when trying to ramp launch a 6000lb ( combined trailer and boat ) load on a steep, wet ramp . It stopped when there was about 2.5 feet of water in the cab .
    The draft of the Pearson will require the trailer to be near 6 feet under water before she floats .
    Draw that out to keep the truck wheels out of the water and you have a tongue length on the trailer of near 25' ( unless of course you can roll it down at low tide , un-hitch , move vehicle beyond tide line and wait for boat to float off )
    Not many places in the US where that can happen .
    You are lucky in Maine to do this , but luck has it's downside , your summer is only a week long .;>)

3 seasons

Mike,

Ah yes the summer is brief....but we do have three seasons.

JULY, AUGUST and WINTA !

With any luck I'll get to sail in part of all three. I'm already behind in getting launched and then I have to learn to sail and then...

It could be worse, A friend of mine lives in Nova Scotia , went to Toronto for 2 weeks in July and missed summer all together .

I'm way behind on getting #45 commissioned , bad weather and making a living get in the way .
    Picking up my new Nissan 4 stroke 6hp today ,actually picking up 2 , one is for Commander 105 who lives down the street .
    We are going to do some prop testing , 8" vs 7" , 8" vs 6" and 7" vs 6" . My mechanic says the 6" will be the winner . I think he is right .

Mike G

I have a trailer for the Ariel. I tried to get a picture out but it did not take. I can send you a picture by email if you would like.

The trailer is 20 feet long, and the bed is 4 1/2 feet wide . Overall, the outside of the wheels make it 7 feet wide. The Ariel extends 7 feet aft of the end of the trailer

The trailer has two sets of wheels, the forward set being almost directly under the center of gravity of the boat (where the keel starts heading up.

There are six posts, three on each side.

The first is 9" from the back and the post extends about about 43" above the keel bottom.

The second is about 73" from the aft end of the trailer and about 31" off the keel bottom.

The forward most set are 117" from the aft end and about 34" high.

Down the center of the trailor is a "U" beam, with a 2" X 6" wolmanized plank placed in the trough upon which the keel of the Ariel sits.

The posts are capped with a flat swivel plate with a wood pad that adjust to the countour of the hull. The post height is based on where the bolt holding those plates passes through the post.

If you don't already know about it, a company (Barnett is the name as I recall) makes screw type jacks that fit inside the post so that the height of the post can be screw adjusted. I do not have those yet but will be buying a set this summer.

Let me know if there are any other dimensions you need or clarification.

Peter Theis
    Last edited by Theis; 05-12-2002 at 08:33 PM.

Rudy:

The company that makes the screwjacks is Brownell
    Boat Stands, 800 533-8433. I suspect they also have a web site.

I understand they "invernted"/brought the things to market.

The screws are 1 7/16" diameter, and come in three lengths, 16" ($11.50), 22 1/2" ($20.50) AND 27 1/2" ($20.50)

My recollection is that they are solid. I will be buying a set this summer.

Hope this does it for you.

Peter

Do those prices include the flange for the pad and the screw handle ?

Mike G

My understanding is that they include the screw handle, but not the pad. There is a real problem with the Ariel and commercial pads. The swivel on the pads, from ones I was shown a year ago, do not swivel enough to accomodate the deep hull design of the Ariel. Most boats today do not have bottoms that are angled 30 degrees and more.

My pads, as a result, I had to have made to order.

Another Trailer

(Back to the shelter topic sans new thread)After digging around and much measuring and remeasuring I decided to scrap the 'erect a new structure' idea and try to squeeze 113 into a building allready on the property. This, of course, required about ten days of nonstop cleaning and reorganizing (or maybe just ORGANIZING!!!) to accomplish. Due to some incredibly warm temps recently-nearly 45 degrees-I could wait no more.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill; 08-20-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Yeah, that's my dad up there doing the dangerous stuff. We knew it would be close and yes the feat did involve letting the air out of the tires.
    Attached Images  

Snug as a bug in a rug-no dents dings or scratches! Now we can actually begin working, uh-when it warms up in four months.
    Attached Images  

trailer

Tony G-

How much did that fine looking trailer set you back?

and how did the bow pulpit fit under the garage door?

inquiring minds......

-km #3

yeah, nize trailor!

Man.... what a tent! Some 4 foot shop lights, a radiant heater, 24 hour pizza delivery, and you'll be ready to relaunch her by spring thaw!

The hull looks really choice, smooth and crisp. Have you ever seen any boat look so good from every angle?

+ Reply to Thread