+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whisker / Spinnaker Pole

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Whisker / Spinnaker Pole

I'm thinking that a whisker pole would help to keep my genoa filled while sailing off the wind. Anybody use one?

Looks like the cost of a line control whisker pole might be $ 400+ Ouch. Any other options? Is a twist-lock pole robust enough? I have about a 130 genoa.

Also, I don't have a spinnaker track on the front of my mast. Just a ring pad eye only about 3 feet up from the base of the mast.

Pete,
    I think West and Defender both sell a small spinaker pole kit for less than $100 , like a 1" or 1.5 diameter . That is all you need for most apps .

Mike

I do use a whisker pole, and it does work very well, particularly when going wing on wing, and even more so when in a sloppy sea.

There are two groupings of whisker poles, the $100 approx variety, and the $300+ variety (and these both have to be differentiated from spinnaker poles - different breed). Both of the models I am talking about are Forespar. I had the 100 dollar version and it sort of worked (and I use a 170% genoa). The problem with the less expensive one is the latches at either end are simply are not secure enough, and I eventually lost mine overboard. It looks secure but isn't and that is why, after several close calls, mine went elsewhere. That one also has a tendency to slowly collapse under compression.

I now have the $300 version and do not have any problem other than it is bigger, and a bit more unwieldy. When I did my research, Forespar told me that the small pole will break/collapse sooner or later. With a smaller sail you might get by, but you might not and wind up buying both - the second after the first is lost.

When sailing/cruising, I keep the whisker pole on deck, each ends hooked to a stanchion base. When raised, I use the pad eye on the mast, and the clew of the sail. I also have a shock cord with a clip at one end attached to the end of the pole. When raising it, I first connect the shock cord to the mast pad eye so that, as I am setting it, if it falls, I do not lose it overboard. Likewise, when returning it to the deck, I snap the shock cord to the lifeline while I am securing the pole to the stanchion bases.

With a 130% genoa, my suggestion is to try the smaller pole (approx $100), and see if you like it and how much you use it. On one hand you may have saved $200, but on the other hand it might cost you an additional $100 (unless you can sell the smaller pole to someone else). Forespar recommends the larger of the two poles, and you will see that on their "warning" label.

I found the attached picture and thought it might be of interest to show how the pole is stowed when cruising. To the left, behind the mast and ahead of the hatch cover, held on by the black straps is the life raft. The red strap is the pull cord.
    Attached Images  

Spinnaker pole

One of the original accessories that came with Adele M is the hollow wooden spinnaker pole, with lines and deck storage fittings. I do not fly a chute, but I am thinking of freshening it up and using it for a whisker pole when running. Anyone ever try this?
    ()-9

The SF Bay racing fleet does.

Theis,

What are those two blue straps running aft inboard of the port and starboard rails along the deck? (ps-nice boat!)
    ()-9

Those are "jack lines". When I am cruising, I connect one on each side from a padeye near the bow to the base of the sternmost stanchion.

I connect the tether from my harness to a jackline rather than the lifeline when I go forward. That is more secure than a lifeline, and I can go all the way forward without coupling/uncoupling the tether snap as I go around the lifeline. By the way, the stretch tethers are worth their weight in gold, compared to the fixed length ones.

Jack lines are available from any marine supplier and run about $35.00 or so, each, as I recall. You could also make them, but do not use round line, as you can slide on the "roller". I would categorize them as being almost as mandatory as a tether if you are open water sailing. Clipping to the lifeline is not recommended, but, assuming the lifeline doesn't fail, it works if you flip over the side.
    Last edited by Theis; 01-29-2003 at 05:25 AM.

I use a twist-lock pole, a Forespar adjustable 7'-17'.
    It works as a whisker pole on the 110% in all conditions as it is not extended that much, and with the150% in lighter conditions, below 15 kts. I also use it as a spinnaker pole and while it is light for this purpose if you take care of it it will take care of you. I would'nt pay big money for a new pole. I found mine in a dumpster with a frozen lock, repaired it and have since found another one. These poles are easy to use, handy, relatively cheap, repairable and with the three tubes inside on another suprisingly strong untill you really extend them right out. At conservative lengths and wind strengths they rock. Mind you dont bang em' into the stays.
    Cheers, B.
    Commander#215
    Last edited by Bill; 03-03-2003 at 09:02 AM.

Whisker Pole Parts

There is a wooden whisker pole on Ebay that I'm considering bidding on. Does someone know why the ends would different from each other? Mismatch or mast vs clew specific?

I have plans for a wooden spinnaker pole from my Owner's Manual and Maintenance Guide. Using those plans as a basis with some hardware that I hope to pick up very inexpensively, I'm thinking of making a wooden whisker - longer, but with a larger cross section. (The aluminum tubes are nice, but forespar's 7-17 model costs $335 new.)

Ebay item no. 2420168976 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=31281

Any input is appreciated. (I just like bronze and wood.)
    Thanks in advance, David
    Brooklyn, New York
    Pearson Commander #92, La Saladita

my guess is that the longer fitting is a replacement.
    It looks to me like they had to shave down that end to get the smaller diameter/longer fitting on the pole. I can see myself doing something similar.
    but the end with the shorter fitting looks like it wasn't hand-shaped and even all around.

the longer one looks like it might be better on the clew of the sail, since it looks like there are fewer sharp edges (unlike the shorter fitting).

just a guess.
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    A whisker pole is looking better all the time.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 03-02-2005 at 02:28 PM.

whisker pole

Quick one- whisker pole...anyone have an idea to the stock length? Bought #442(?) and it has no pole- must have one...if someone were to know the length- that would be sweet- and should i build? buy? buy used? what do you folks think?

Chris

Chris,

What is your jenny 125, 135, 150? and do you use the working jib a lot?? This will determine how long the pole has to be. It will also determine whether you need a track on the mast or just a mat fitting.

The easy way is to take your boat pole and try to estimate how much more pole you need to hold it out and open...Then go to West Marine or your favorite emporium of goodies. They will tell you how hefty the pole must be based the sq ft of your jib. The pole will be adjustable so your estimate using your boat pole will get you in the ball park.....Unless you are in SF...then you just moor outside the park (grin)

In the mean time if you want to play....place a snatch block on the aft end of your boom and lead the sheet back to the block and then to your turning block on the rail. It works the nuts for really broad reaches.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

The wooden pole supplied by Pierson was 10 feet. There's a drawing in the manual.

+ Reply to Thread