+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you spell lassarette?

How do you spell lassarette?

I have tried to find the correct spelling, and see is spelled many ways.

Is it:

lazarette

lassarette

lasarette

lasaret

other

Are there any synonoms?

Theis
    Concerning your concern...please refer to the manual as per Bill or, like many of us, use the avoidance method I'm going with single z double t. Tony G

lazarette

my Websters says it began word life in 15th cen.Italy as a pest house to keep lepers (nazaretto - after a church.) Viz: quarantine.

Lazaretto becomes a space 'between decks' used on merchant ships for storage.

lazarette is a modern term for a lidded box to keep coffin nails in.
    Last edited by ebb; 12-01-2002 at 08:29 AM.

Z & 2 T's

I don't have a Websters, but looked in the Random House and the American Heritage dictionaries.

A "lazaretto" is a hospital treating contagious diseases, or a building or ship used as a quarantine station. But, the third definition is "A storage space betwseen the decks of a ship". It is from the Italian lazaretto, from lazzaro, leper, beggar, from Medieval Latin Lazarus. A lazar is a beggar afflicted with some loathsome disease, especially leprosy.

So we have solved the spelling problem - Thank you - although the word is peculiarly unattractive. Is there a synonim that might be less loathsome or are we stuck with an inadequate word that really is not appropriate?
    Last edited by Theis; 12-02-2002 at 06:56 AM.

Lazarette

I personaly like the old time definition and use of the word , linking me with many generations of my family who went to sea and had to deal with disease without proper treatment .
    I find it much more acceptable than 'seat lockers', 'cockpit lockers', ( you wanna really get grossed out , look up cockpit in it's sea going usage . You may not want to sit there anymore . )
    Quarantine has been with us for centuries and is still with us . It is harder to bring your dog into this country than it is a sick person with the latest version of the flu , that could kill thousands .
    No , I will continue to quarantine my outboard, gas tanks , lengths of line , fenders ,boarding ladder and other odd gear in the lazarette , and will warn all crew 'aye , mind yarself of the lepers when poking about in the lazarette !'

+ Reply to Thread