+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice for Replacing and/or refurbishing the prop shaft and propellor

Hybrid View

Need Advice for Replacing and/or refurbishing the prop shaft and propellor

I have a 1962 Pearson Ariel, and the original drive shaft is still in place, although the Atomic 4 was removed decades ago. I have owned her for 10 years, and use an outboard in the well. The shaft still spins (at low hand speed) and does not leak (if so slower than evaporation), but I never attempt to spin if she is not on the hard.

For my next haul out, I want to replace or refurbish the whole kit including bearings. I am interested in info about the specs of the original prop as well.

1) Do any captains know if there is a Kit for Ariel Prop Shaft with seals and bearings?

2) Do any captains know the specs of original prop shaft and prop for 1962?

3) I do not want to remove it and seal it....working on a step by step repower.

Thank you for any advice or direction!

Kevin

Also, does anyone know if the Atomic 4 30HP fits into the Ariel? I know it fits into the Triton, and I believe they have identical companionways....

Thank you,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Bill forwarded your question about Ariel drive shafts to me. I have a 1965 Ariel with a now not working Atomic 4. Several years ago, when the A4 was still working, I had a serious stuffing box leak while the Ariel was in the Sacramento Delta. The stuffing box problem could not be corrected in the Delta. I had the Ariel moved back down to the bay and KKMI, Richmond fixed the problem.

KKMI replaced the stuffing box with a PSS Shaft Seal (www.shaftseal.com). In the three years or so that the A4 was still running the Shaft Seal performed perfectly. They are not inexpensive ($300 or so plus labor).

( Missing graphic -- PYI Inc. | PSS Shaft Seal)

Given my year-plus of lost sailing time and the expense, I would not be inclined to make changes to a drive shaft/stuffing box system that could be avoided. Not broken….. etc.

Wish you well—good sailing,

Kent Smith
    Cloud 9 (388)

+ Reply to Thread