+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hauling Out an Ariel with Crane and Straps

Hauling Out an Ariel with Crane and Straps

Does anyone have a suggestion? Yesterday I pulled the mast from Ariel 205, Esperanza and attempted to lift the boat out of the water using straps and a pedestal crane. I used a 24 foot strap under the stern forward of the rudder and an 18 foot long strap a few inched forward of the forward chain plates. Lifting from these positions the boat was too stern heavy and lifting out of the water and onto the trailer did appear safe. Has anyone lifted an Ariel with a strap behind the rudder? I don't know if the construction of the boat will provide support. By the way the boat still has the 14 HP diesel engine that was installed during her major overhaul in 2012.

Grady

Hey Grady,
    When Torresen Marine hauls Lucky Dawg, the stern strap is placed just above the rudder. There is a thin space with a flat spot there as you can see in the photo below. The front strap is forward of where the keel meets the hull, but I'm not sure how the guys ascertain where exactly to place it.
    Kyle

Name:  trailerAsmall.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  trailer3.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  76.4 KB
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 10-26-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks for the reply. Lifting from just above the rudder will certainly make the boat easier to balance. I'm glad to know that the boat's structure will support the weight.
    Grady
    A-205 Esperanza

These boats are very solid and will support lifting just about any way you can think of. If you are using a single point lift with a spreader bar I would pick as Torrenson did. On the counter just aft of the rudder for the aft strap and the forward strap is set so it tensions at the same time as the aft strap so the boat will lift parallel with the ground. Once the straps are set you should rig a safety line. This is a rope tied between the forward and the aft strap below the water line so the forward strap does not slip when it is lifted. If the boat is in the water when lifting the safety line is tied at the sheer. Full keel boats especially need safety lines. We tie a safety line on every boat we lift.

Thanks for the reassurance and the tip about the safety line. We will be lifting her out this Friday. So I'll post a picture of the operation. I keep Esperanza at the Oklahoma City Boat Club on Lake Hefner. We have 18 foot long straps and 24 foot long straps, I plan to use the 18 strap under the stern and the longer strap forward. We have a spreader with a single point lift. I hope that this arrangement will pick her sufficiently level.
    Grady
    A205 Esperanza

+ Reply to Thread