+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new mast

Hybrid View

new mast

hello, I plan to replace the mat Grindel which is very damaged at its base, I would like to know the mechanical characteristics (I know the dimensions 3.5 '' x 6 '' and 3.1mm thick) of the original mat to find in recent profiles. the weight per meter or per foot and if possible the "moment of inertia" XX 'YY'. By browsing the forum the original mat would be overdetermined I saw it when I lost a spreader with 20kn without breaking the mast. Thank you

According to the drawing on P-162 of the ACYA manual, the A-C mast is .130 inch thick. Pounds per foot 2.338. Extruder was Alcoa # T-1812. Alloy 6061T6. A-C mast length 30'-3"

This same mast is also found on the Triton, but five feet longer than the A-C mast. It's possible that a "used" Triton mast could be a less expensive alternative to new. Note too that Rig-Rite, Inc produces the boom for the A-C yachts (Pearson Yachts RR #3522). They also may be able to help with the mast.

Rig-Rite, Inc
    63 Centerville Rd
    Warwick, RI 02886
    401-739-1140
    www.rigrite.com

thank you, but I think I'm the only Ariel in France and only 60 Triton were made by Jouet and I think there are not any more. I was asking for mast feature because I saw profiles and they are either much smaller or slightly larger in width. But those slightly larger are between 2.9 and 3.2 kg / m which is below 2.338 Pounds per foot (2.54kg / m). I did not really want to soften the mat since it is overdimensioned.
    when i go to remove the mast I will try to keep it but it has already been shorten 3 inches and the base is corroded and split on 1 inch.

France! Christian, it has been a long time since we last heard from you! Glad to hear that your Ariel (#70) is still around.

Grindel is still afloat but he has not been sailing since 1 and a half years. I did a lot of work that was not planned because I realized that most of the wood was rotten. I started with the traveler the wood below was rotten and when we sheet in the rail lifted and the water was pouring into the cabin or the back box. after I replaced and strengthened the stanchion fixation and the deck under the winch.
    I remove the scupper of the deck and I made them in the back with the evacuation in the well of the outboard. I redid and reinforced all the support under the cokpit. I redid the kitchen. I am doing a tank of about 100 liters in the bilge I deleted 4 thruhull that was not used anymore. I have refurbished with epoxy resin and fiber or replaced wood panels with PVC foam and fiber (airex). I remove as much as possible of brass screws that have become copper screws and break when we try to unscrew them. I removed all layers of antifouling and I found a dozen osmosis blisters that I treated with epoxy after I had 4 layers of epoxy primer, I removed the packing glans of the old engine inboard (now I have a Yamaha outbord 8Hp) and plugged the hole in the hull and rudder. I reinforced the partission to fix the chain-plate (water had returned and the partition of the back had started to rot).I replaced all the hinges.
    I still have to do the strongback. I have a deck area where the balsa is rotten, I will make a fridge instead of the cooler, all the electricity, go up all the inside and outside (coaming, running hand, pulpit .....) repaint the entire hull and interior. replace the wood of the entrance and the rail of the roof deck. visit the mat but I think I will have to change it and all shroud because they are original they are 56 years old.
    I just bought a trailer and I'm putting it in the shape of the Ariel to bring the boat home because I'm wasting too much time on the road.

Wow! Sounds like much work. If possible, please attach some photos with your posts. It helps us understand what you've accomplished.

I have another question: I have a copy of plan where it is written CLP and about 16 cm (6 ") in front of CB or CR(it's just on the fold of the old plane), I would like to know if one of these dimensions is the center of gravity to position the axle of the trailer. I felt that the center of gravity was further ahead when i careen, perhaps because the inboard engine of 200 kg was removed .

when I return to the boat in ten days I will take pictures and I will post them on "Ariel # 70 Grindel"

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. In the past, several owners have made trailers for their A-C yachts and have written about it here. There may be something that would answer your question somewhere on the board. Go to Google and search:

site: pearsonariel.org (space) your subject (no space after the colon) Your subject would be trailer. Probably get a lot of "I need one" or "I have one to sell," but you should find a few where they discuss building a trailer.

I just took my own advice and came up with the following trailer discussion thread:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...er-Discussions

Hi Christian! I too would love to see some photos of your boat! It sounds like we are doing some of the same jobs - draining cockpit out of back instead of scuppers, modifying interior, strengthening mast structure, water tanks in bilges...

I will post some of my own soon. #422 Katie Marie, the interior is gutted stem to stern right now, and the mid berths (settees) are the first things going back in, to serve as water tanks along with the bilge. Between the two berths and the bilge, I have estimated there will be nearly 120 US gallons of tankage available. Each berth will be 2 separate tanks. Not that all of that is needed necessarily, but it makes for space that will work towards creating flotation/buoyancy as the water is used, or if the tank is simply left empty. I do not plan on carrying a liferaft, working instead to make the boat unsinkable due to watertight partitioning of space inside the hull. That said, I hope I never need it!

Here you can see my boss, looking in thru the new forward end of the cockpit, making sure I do the job right!
    Name:  barqueBoss.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  80.8 KB
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

epiphany i had post some picture on http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...iel-70-GRINDEL
    on Grindel the center of gravity was between 5 and 10 cm further ahead than on this plane, because there is no engine and many equipment have been removed (icebox, kitchen, closet ...)
    A-C Hull dimensions for trailer (1).pdf
    Last edited by grindel; 07-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread