Ebb once accused me of wanting to put 113's batteries in the bilge. Of course I firmly denied even considering putting my hand in the bilge. Lately though, I must confess, I've given serious thought to locating them in the bilge. Given the sad state of my main cabin sole we're looking at replacing that along with the rotted bulkheads(reference paranoia subsides) and after reading several accounts of waterproofing bulkheads and compartments I think a waterproof drop-in in the bilge may work. We'd have to work the numbers of course, measurment wise, but I think there would be room left for anchor locker drainage underneath and plenty of room aft for an electric bilge pump and a secondary bilge pump. I wouldn't even consider putting a battery in the bilge if I didn't have to replace the sole as I think the only place worse would be to lash it to the foredeck but the opportunity is presenting itself for some nifty compartment work. The other spots I'm considering are some storage compartments that will be just forward of the...you got it, the soon to be removed bulkhead. Because the water tank is elcrappo it'll be removed and I don't think I'll put as large a tank back in because this isn't going to be an off shore boat so we could use a little mor weight up front. This will all require a closer inspection, of course, but I'm leaning in that direction. Tony G