+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 240 “Pamlico”

Hybrid View

Commander 240 “Pamlico”

Hello everyone,

I got C-240 in the summer of 2017 for free!(but there’s no such thing how true....) She’s still pretty solid, needs some new core in a few spots, plenty of shining up and such, but lots of fun. I’ve been putting along with projects the biggest being a new rudder.

A couple weeks after sailing her down from the Wicomico to Urbanna I dove in for a look and some scraping of the bottom. Well the ol rudder was only together by the worms holding hands. It’s a shame because it was clearly the original mahogany, but hadn’t been hauled in years, well, at least it fed several generations of worms. So a new plywood and epoxy rudder and a fresh bottom job.

I’ll be sailing her down to Hatteras in the next couple of weeks, and doing some sunset cruises and sandbar charters this summer.

Does anyone know the actual LOA of the Commander? The Ariel says 25’7” everywhere I’ve seen, and the Commander 26’, aren’t they supposed to the same hull?

Thanks for all the great info, I’ve learned a lot!

Name:  00A77DFD-2177-4204-9ED4-5097AE3EC6B8.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  46.1 KBName:  83B6ED74-CB50-4123-B04A-BAA816C30F4F.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  72.0 KBName:  0D46DBDC-4A33-4FF5-B2B6-82D990A3680B.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  48.5 KBName:  8AEB6AD5-619C-4484-970E-315236E99314.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  67.9 KB

Just a couple from the beginning!
    Attached Images    

Great work on the bottom and rudder! I’ve been doing a lot of fiberglass work - filling holes etc.

What did your bottom job entail? It looks like it was a major project.

Your bow stanchion looks new

Thanks, the bottom was surprisingly easy for as bad as it looked when I hauled it. There was hardly any bottom paint left, so after sanding that off I had probably 40 little cracks and minor blisters to fill. The gelcoat was in decent shape. I’ve still got plenty to do, but she’ll be in the water soon.

As far as the bow rail, it must be a trick of the light, cause I’m pretty sure she’s original!

Yeowza! That rudder!! Worms holding hands - ha!

Congrats and welcome.

+ Reply to Thread