Hybrid View

I have inboard tracks on my Commander but my bow chocks are
    attached to the toe rail. The problem I had was that there was
    no way to bed the washer in the concave and irregular space
    within the inner toe rail. What I wound up doing was to
    bed the chock and mix up some Pro-Poxy putty. I shaped a wad
    that wraps around the bolt between the washer and the glassI didn't
    tighten up the bolt much but kind of flattened out the putty. The putty
    cured and as it did I tightened the bolt/screw and squeezed out the 4200,(outside)
    and set the epoxy into its irregular place. Solid as a rock and real clean as you can easily
    mold the epoxy before it sets and can sand and paint it if you want. I've used
    Propoxy to mold bushings and part seats etc. Its good stuff and is easy to work with
    as long as you use gloves. I have used it with West System products without a hitch
    Cheers B.
    Commander #215

Toe rail mounted jib tracks comming up.....

Mike,

Here are mine, I settled on 8' of 1" track. How long are yours?

Any tips on the install?

I plan to start forward where the bend is more severe, so I won't have to finish bending the ends with short pieces of track (and little leverage).
    Attached Images  

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Thumbs up

Looking good!
    Start up by the shrouds and work your way aft , easier with a second set of hands . I need to get fired up on #45 , good weather and free time do not come together .
    I was talking to a friend of my in Jacksonville on Fri. , I might be down your way in a few weeks. Let's get together for a beer . Are you on the Neuse ?

Tracks

Mine are in 2 pieces, I did the genny tracks first , then decided to move the jib tracks out to the rail so I just stacked them end to end . You will need a deep thinwall socket for setting the nuts up in the toe rail.

Jib track replacement

I splashed Commmander #105 on April 23, minus the mast and jib track. Being new to sailing and boat repair I am in some need as to where I should place the jib track and how long it should be, while I have every confidense in the toerail that I rebuilt I wish to replace the new tracks inboard of the toerails. I will secure the new rails to aluminum strips 3" wide under the side decks for strength and peace of mind. The mast is another story I am having a new masthead sheave made in aluminum to the same dimensions as the old because I know no better, could the old sheave be replaced with a smaller one? Lastly the old original tiller broke in half as I was motoring around the dock in some wind and tide, good old duck tape and a c clamp came to the resue. On the way home I purchased a new tiller at good ol' West Marine for $169.00 untill I can make my own.I don't think very much of the laminated tillers or the finish on them. Also I am waiting to have the rigger make some new standing rigging for the mast as some of the old ones have burrs from the boat the rode up and down on them in the storm.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 04-25-2005 at 03:21 PM.

Robert, the photos at posts #3 and #10 in this thread (p.1) should give you a good idea of where to place your track inside the toe rail. Sheave size sounds right to me. As noted in the manual, I insterted a bearing into the original phonelic shieve. Real tough stuff.

Cool Jib Tracks

Just removed my old bronze jib tracks and will replace them with Schaeffer racing tracks at 4" centers. They are mounted on the toerail, but the 1/4-20 FH mounting screws are THREADED into the toerail and a bent washer/nut is used as a backer. Slick, strong and no leaks in 40 years. Someone had their thinking cap on! Also, the first foot or so of the tracks are straight on both ends. Like steam bending wood, the ends are impossible to bend in situ. With longer bolts, the old track might even make a nice backer plate, full length. Nah, on second thought......
    Last edited by Dan Maliszewski; 04-25-2005 at 07:24 PM. Reason: icon placement
    ()-9

+ Reply to Thread