+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Windows for Berth Portals

Hybrid View

Marina Jack's in Sarasota Bay, Sarasota, FL

Replacement Windows for Berth Portals

Has anyone ever found a new window they can replace the original portal windows with?
    Attached Images  

Historical Arts and Casting has many of the castings for the original Pearson hardware. They are not inexpensive. Bronze, no aluminum. Here is the contact:
    5580 W Bagley Park Rd.
    West Jorday, UT 84088
    (801) 280-2400
    eden@historicalarts.com

Good reports from those who have used Historical Arts (search Off Topic forum)

bronze castings - source has changed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Historical Arts and Casting has many of the castings for the original Pearson hardware. They are not inexpensive. Bronze, no aluminum. Here is the contact:
    5580 W Bagley Park Rd.
    West Jorday, UT 84088
    (801) 280-2400
    eden@historicalarts.com

Good reports from those who have used Historical Arts (search Off Topic forum)
    Due to the retirement of Robert Baird, the castings are now available at Port Townsend Foundry, tel 360-385-6425
    email ptf@olypen.com
    contact person: Pete

bronze ports

in the little search window up top here in the Off Topic Forum
    came up with a bunch of threads.
    Pertinent thread: WTB: Small opening port lights and, or, frame resource info
    also Replacing Portholes

Once laid out the pieces of my original opening aluminum ports to foto.
    There must be 50 parts to each port. That's why they're expensive.
    Spigot(cutout) 8 x 4 3/16, Trim: 9 1/8 x 5 3/8. Curved ends are compass circles.

SPARTAN (no catalog, no fotos) has flattened oval, like our original portlights.
    P586O (O for oval) 14lbs ! Cutout(spigot) = 9 1/8 x 6. Flange = 12 1/16 x 8. $400.

DAVEY now has some nice looking TRUE oval portlights (the smallest size, close but
    not fitting the Ariel's flattened oval.)
    Spigot sizes: 8 x 5 1/4 --- 9 1/4 x 6 1/8 --- 12 1/8 x 7 1/4.
    Spigot is the mounting hole cutout.
    Flange that goes around spigot outside: 9 1/4 x 7 --- 11 1/4 x 8 1/8 --- 14 1/4 x 9 1/4.
    Weight of three oval opening ports: 7lbs - 8.5lbs - 15lbs.

Smallest size with its more round shape will add about 6 more square inches of glass,
    and may take little to rework the original hole to fit the Davey spigot. Guessing.
    Inside, portlight has integral mounting flange that will match outside trim ring
    for thru bolting. Assuming, don't know for a fact.

In the USA, the smallest Davey oval portlight priced $542 (R&W*).
    Have not seen these first hand. (Midsize $770, $200 over uk)
    R & W Rope --- Fisheries Supply (OOS but equally insane $$$) --- Rig Rite Spartan.
    (* this is a $142 mark up on the London price. Maybe lower cost if you import them!
    Ask what they weigh and if they include the bug screen.) My last overseas order, UPS
    took care of all the paperwork, and delivered to the front door. Should not have to
    pay the 15% VAT, which is often included in an online UK site.

LATER UPDATE
    As of 6/2018, littlegull has Davey bronze opening ports. Maybe get around to
    a picture on the Gallery page. Ports are beautiful, but they are heavy weights.

R & W Rope, when I was ordering, was the most reliable, and seemed to have
    direct connection to their source in the US. Screens, for example. Extra
    gaskets, still have to order, or improvise from McMasterCarr.

Have to talk with Historical Arts, who may or may not still have the molds.
    They do not mention anywhere on site: marine/nautical.
    Would guess they will be as expensive, if not more, if they have to start from scratch.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-08-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Source for Pearson port light castings has changed to Port Townsend Foundry
    Last edited by Robert; 11-12-2019 at 05:38 PM.

New Found Metals made this recommendation (below) for the berth portlights in the Pearson Ariel. Any thoughts about increasing the size? Original size (outside dimensions) are 5.5" x 9.0", they are saying I can go 8" x 15.

"You have ample space to go with our 5x12 oval stainless. You cabin bulkhead looks a little thin so you can thicken it up by 5/8" by using our Teak Spacers. Our O512SS has outside dimensions of the frame at 8x15" . We have drill templates that assist in drilling our fastener holes in the right place (our ports bolt together) and will show where you need to remove any material. We can send you the template to be sure the port will work for you. A little larger port looks better on your boat besides adding light and more air." -New Found Metals Nov 12, 2019
    Richard

Sometimes you can find them at consignment stores or even Ebay or Craig's List if you get lucky.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Hey! That Mike dude is still around!

You can obtain exact replacements in bronze from

Port Townsend Foundry LLC
    251 Otto St.
    Port Townsend WA. 98368
    Phone: 360/385-6425
    ptf@olypen.com

Attn: Peter R. Langley

As noted in the "sticky" above, Port Townsend has all the original patterns for early Pearson yachts. Check with them. It might help to give them the Rostand part number as shown in the appendix to the manual.

I couldn’t find anybody with the original molds. Port Townsend Foundry either doesn’t have them or they didn’t feel like dealing with me. We did some emails back and forth but nothing came of it. However, I had success with New Found Metals, also in Port Townsend Washington. They didn't have an equivalent they did have a larger portlight that worked out perfectly.

The original holes in the v-berth had to be enlarged but I’m really happy with the result. They look good and there is an increase in light and ventilation. I purchased 2 oval stainless steel 5” x 12” (model 512OSS), the teak spacers, and butyl sealant. They also provided a template that made it easier to cut the right shape in the cabin. New Found Metals was recommended to me by the owner at Blue Pelican Marine chandlery in Alameda, and I’m thankful to him. Richard at New Found Metals was extremely helpful. I recommend him highly. These portlights cost about $275 each. The teak spacers were about $60 each. The template cost $20 (100 deposit, $80 refunded upon return.
    Last edited by Robert; 05-03-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Photos of Portlight from New Found Metals

Photos of replacement portlight
    Attached Images  

Exterior photo of replacement portlight

Here it is from the outside
    Attached Images  

Original, smaller portlight

I was worried about enlarging the hole in the cabin because there’s quite a bit of curvature but it worked out OK. This is the original portlight. One of the dogs was broken on this side so it didn’t close properly and was a source of water entry. The starboard side portlight had a crack in the glass. I saved the old parts, someone could probably make one good, original portlight from the old parts. Hit me up if you need them.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Robert; 05-03-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Cutout plan for larger v-berth portlight

Here’s one more photo showing the placement of the larger portlight
    Attached Images  

Those Newfound Metals windows are the Boss. I've been very happy with mine that I installed in 2014. They alter the appearance of the Commander, but IMO not in a bad way. My install is here - http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...6905#post26905

+ Reply to Thread