+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Cleats

New Cleats

Here is one of two new chrome plated bronze cleats which I bought from Historical Arts and Casting to replace the Ronstan originals which I stepped on. At $200 each I don't expect them to break. Actually, it's a W/C design. Will repeat the saga of the new cleats soon.
    Attached Images  

It's so beautiful!

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Cleats

They certainly are. Haven't been able to install them yet due to construction at the house. I did go about acquiring them backwards, however. Not thinking about the forum, I measured the hole pattern and found what I thought was the perfect match from Rig Rite Co. back East. I bought what turned out to be an unused Wilcox Crittendon cleat for $180. Unfortunately, the hole pattern was perfect only if I turned the cleat 90 degrees. Dang! I installed it for my traveler by using only 2 screws which then fit with the cleat facing fore and aft. Then I broke another jib cleat, and found an ancient W/C plated bronze cleat for $30 off of Ebay. I installed it to mind the traveler also. Finally, I remembered the forum, found Historical Arts, sent them the broken cleat for sample, and I now have 2 new plated bronze jib cleats. Will check back in when they are installed.

New Cleats

Job complete, everything fit. Time for a 2 beer daysail.

+ Reply to Thread