Is anyone else out there wondering why Pete is spending so much time on the Hunter websites? I know, I know...you were just curious, and experimenting, right?

Pete, there may be a 12-step program to get you past your sad affliction/addiction. We're all pulling for you, and hope that you can so on put this sad period of your life behind you. You have a bright future ahead. Don't blow it on youthful indiscretions...

Moving on: I don't knock anyone who gets out and sails often, no matter what I might think of their boat choice. (And of course I always have an opinion on that.) It's all about going sailing and enjoying your boat. Why does it seem that the nicest boats in any given fleet tend to be the ones that sit unused the most? Big mortgage = too much time at work. Screw that. Life's too short. I like my small boat. I get to use it. Often. (Well, except for 7 months every winter, but that's another issue--and sure to change in the coming years.)

Still, I think the big Hunters and such are designed more for the at-the-dock party crowd than for actual sailing enjoyment. To each their own. I don't have to own one. If I wanted to hang out at the dock and whoop it up instead of cruising into remote anchorages, I'd probably prefer something like that too. (Perish the thought!)

Also, FWIW, there was an interesting thread on the Wooden Boat Forum (since Al brought it up) in which the Triton (OK, not an Ariel, but soul sisters anyway) received accolades, praise, and even "honorary wooden boat" status from the often snooty, wood-over-everything users. I'm happy to hear it. Here is the link to the thread:

http://media5.hypernet.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000028

A classy boat can be made of any material. A fiberglass Concordia would still be beautiful and classy, with a soul meant for sailing, and a wooden Hunter or similar would still be dock fodder with a less clear purpose.

Anyway...

Tim