+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9.9 HP high thrust?

Hybrid View

Thanks Ebb, much appreciated. I do not enjoy pulling my OB out of the well after every time I sail, and I never leave my Yamaha 8 HP in the water, as I am moored in Miami (I can handle how crazy it is...I'm from here) and the hot saltwater just eats everything it touches and gets rapidly covered in growth. I can not tilt it.

I would love to be able to sail right off of mooring, but Biscayne Bay is so shallow I can only head direct to the ICW, then I have to open a bridge and queue with other boats in the channel for about 1.5 hours to get to open water around 6 feet depth. Obviously that requires stable power.

I looked into the torqeedo.....hoping the prices get lower, I love the direction they are going.

I sailed my Ariel (Louise Michel) down the ICW from Brooklyn to Miami, and then to Bimini, Berry Isalnds, and Sea of Abaco. I recall the 4 knot current in Cape Fear River, and the 3.5 knots of the Gulf Stream, which is maybe why I am obsessed with having closer to 10HP. I just want to see her at hull speed under power! I remember seeing a fully restored Alberg 30 motoring at hull speed in the Dismal Swamp Canal....it was a sight of beauty in the flat water, moving along in her own wave.
    Last edited by prooftheorist; 08-03-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Replaced "snake river" with "cape fear river" subconscious fear of snakes.

+ Reply to Thread