Thread: Setting a-c rig tension

Threaded View

Post Setting a-c rig tension

We often receive questions from new owners regarding the tension settings for the standing rigging on Ariel & Commander yachts. Over the 40 years of one design class racing on SF Bay, the group learned a few things about rig tension. Our former ODCA champion and the Association’s Fleet Captian, Ed Ekers, explains the way he adjusted the stays on his Ariel:

“Fore and aft stays first (depending on if I wanted mast raked or centered), next the upper shrouds to put the rig in the center of boat, followed by the forward lower shrouds to make mast straight. And finally, the aft lowers to help eliminate any pumping in the mast. Pin all the turn buckles and add tape to prevent chafe. Since I had an adjustable back stay I would add a little grease for ease. At the end of the day I would always back off the back stay so the rig was not under a heavy load at the dock.”

The following chart shows the A-C rig setting for 18 to 20 knots of wind. These numbers are a starting places from which you can adjust up or down, depending on your local wind conditions. Note too that as you adjust a shroud or stay, the opposite one’s tension is effected.
    Attached Images