+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Lead Pigs - Effect on trim?

The Lead Pigs - Effect on trim?

Hello all-

I've read the discussion of lead weights in OB Ariels, whether to remove, etc. but wondered what removing them does to the waterline, assuming no further messing with weights. Mine are there, in their original position (I think) and my problem is that with only two averaged sized people sailing the cockpit, the O.B. motor opening is scooping up water when sailing hard. It sloshes around the lazaret area, sometimes 4 - 6 inches deep, even floating my gas tank around if not lashed down. Will removing the lead pop the stern of the boat up a little, or raise the boat along the whole waterline? (maybe either would help). Thanks for any insights!

bruce (Urchin - 318)

Your issue is probably more in your bow. I have 300 lbs or so of sandbags in my chainlocker - see http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...6948#post26948 and discussion on balancing fore to aft here http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...vice-and-input

Thanks!

Thanks Kyle for your response and for directing me to the thread on weight/trim--super helpful. I pulled my "pigs" out (aching back) and set them on the floor under the strongback, to be removed when alongside a dock, with strong friends. Just that made the stern look better.

Cheers!
    bruce.

I just pulled out the 600 lb corrector weight and a water tank from my v berth. It definitely changed the trim. The bow floats easily 4" higher, and like Lucky Dawg water pools on the deck aft of the deck scuppers. While the drainage issue is not ideal I'm not sure that the change is a bad thing when it comes to sailing trim. I have been sailing a couple of times since the adjustment - once in 20+ knots and the boat still behaves well and much faster than the predicted polars. I will definitely have to have my sail maker put a reef in my main. Right now it does not have one. I plan continue to monitor performance in different conditions and points of sail and I'll report back to the forum.

Alberg/Pearson designed a plug to fill the well when the outboard was removed. I find that it's worth half a knot to have it in when racing particularly in winds 10+. There used be a a thread about a member that made a form from which to duplicate the plug. I don't think you have a weight or balance problem. Heeled over the waterline is above the edge of the opening for the OB. It messes up the water flow and creates drag as well as filling the laz with 5-10 gallons of water. The plug makes an amazing difference. If your OB is hanging off the transom the situation is much worse. I use an old Johnson 5HP that weighs 45 lbs. We pull it, put in the plug and lay it in the laz for day-sailing. Racing, we put it in the cabin to get as much weight low as we can.

If laid athwart ship in the lazarette, your Johnson's head will end up below the prop on one or another tack. Water is therefore likely to end up in the bronze bearing located below the head of the engine. In our experience, it's resulted in an engine tear down to replace the bearing. Not sure if the Tahotsu line of outboards has a similar bearing, but we either leave the engine in the well (day sailing), or, of course, place it on the cabin sole, head forward, just aft of the marine head to improve performance if racing. Great activity for the back

We have a shelf starboard of the well for a small gas tank. We lay the motor head against that and the drive end below it. Might get level at worst in big weather. Been doing it for years and the motor just keeps running. When racing we lash the head to the compression post so it won't shift around.

+ Reply to Thread