When should standing rigging be replaced? I sail my craft in fresh water, but the shrouds are now forty years old - still the original set. I have had them checked professionally and they appear good with no discoloration or apparent corrosion. A clean bill of health.

However, all the rigging places I have talked with say 20 years is the limit, regardless of what they look like. Does anyone have any experience in this regard? Has everyone replaced theirs? Have there been any bad experiences with the original standing rig failing?

Here are a couple comments I have heard from riggers. If, in the north country, you leave the mast mounted when out of the water, it is very hard on the standing rigging, even if the turnbuckles are loosened to allow for contraction with the cold. First of all, water drips down, getting in the swage fitting, freezes, and can hairline crack the fitting. The crack is not detectable, until the shroud explodes while under strain. Secondly, when the wind buffets the boat in the winter, with the hull on a rigid mount, the shrouds take all the jerking and pounding, since the boat can't cushion the jolts as it would when in the water, and this pounding can weaken the shroud.

Even regardless of how the mast is stored, corrosion can occur inside the swage fitting, or the swage fitting can become cracked or damaged, and not detectable. The argument goes - "Don't take a chance".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.