Thread: Standing Rigging

Threaded View

Ebb -

One of my favorite books (I think I've mentioned it on here before Edit: Yes Link ) is Griffiths "Bluewater" (written by a 5+ time circumnavigator who owned a 60' cutter with a very Ariel-like shape to her). On his boat Awahnee, he described a bar mounted above/at the top of his external chainplates, and the shrouds attached to this bar. The same bar was also handy as a place to hang fenders, sidelights, etc, while serving to protect the lower ends of the shrouds when lying alongside docks or other vessels.

Anyway, we could use this idea to mount external chainplates slightly aft of the current bulkhead locations, and then attach the shrouds to the bar in their proper locations, so as not to have to shift the mast.

Sounds OK to me, but what say y'all to the idea?

BTW - Have a sweet job for a few days yet - tending this boat (below) for the owners - very sweet boat, and super nice people! All because curiosity and coffee got the better of me when I saw them tied up in our marina yesterday. (She's a doll, but I still like my Ariel... )

They said they knew a girl named "Darcy" who had a boat much like an Ariel, she sailed all around the NE until getting married to a fellow with a larger boat. Anyone know of or ever hear of her? Just wondering...

Article link

Last edited by CapnK; 06-03-2005 at 11:11 AM.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...