Thanks but I'm looking to do less work - not more. <g> And building a well means giving up the lazarette and then doing a bunch of work besides. I think I'd rather fix the inboard than build an outboard well. <g>

The boat is 60 miles from my house and shop and tools and mechanical resources and plus; it really annoys me essentially working like a hobo out in the middle of a far-away field. I built a trailer to haul my Columbia 29 around on and so I know I just can't manage building a trailer for this boat. Or even a cradle - to use a flatbed trailer. I am looking for an easy way out to go sailing again soon - not a project to add to my always huge must-do list.

Maybe it's time for the Ariel to go and for me to buy something more suitable to my outboard. It's a shame; it's a nice boat otherwise. 12V refrigeration, onboard fire suppression, all kinds of nice widgets and gadgets and upgrades. It does need varnish and deck paint but I'd sail with it all that way if I had to.

I'd have to be really in love to do an inboard engine replacement - and I'm just not that head-over-heels. <g>

Thanks for the word-picture regarding operating the outboard controls out past the stern rail. You make it easy to picture the bad-ness of that. It's awkward getting back there just to put the stern ladder up. <g>

PHM
-------

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos View Post
The majority of Ariel's had an outboard in a well, the conversion is pretty streight forward. The part you will likely want to focus on is the construction of the well. There are many pictures here.

It is widely held that these boats don't like the stern bracket for a couple of reasons. First the weight hung so far aft really upsets the trim... Even being 2' aft of the position in the well makes a big difference.

Second, and maybe more importantly, the controls are very difficult to operate because of the lazarette.... You are stretching pretty far back, and down.... A recipe for falling overboard at worst, and cumbersome at best.

I have sailed an Alberg 30 with an outboard in the transom and it was a real handful to dock!

The 9.9 is a little big and heavy, but many folks have used them. I delivered Ariel Spirit (#3) when it was purchased it hAd a Merc 9.9 2 stroke, it was replaced by a 9.9 4 stroke. Neither moved it any better then the Yamaha 6 and Tohatsu 6 that I use on my own Ariel (#226).