+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asym on Commander or Ariel

Hybrid View

I saw the the boat surveyor you used when you bought the boat called your sail inventory "painter's tarps." What do you call a spinnaker that mice have pissed in for 10 years, and is comprised of 1/3 sail tape, I wonder? There have to be a million old J/24 spinnakers lying around, though, waiting for someone like me to come along. If anyone on this board has a spinnaker -- asym or symmetrical -- or any hank-on headsail they'd let go cheap, do drop me a line, please.

Bob, post your sail request on the Off Topic forum. Also, check the forum for sail listings. I'll be posting a thread shortly for a long time member who no longer has an Ariel, but still has some sails and cabin cushions.

I've sailed with the symmetrical over the years- with and without the pole. Most of the time I was lazy or short handed when the pole was left on the deck. You're limited in how far downwind you can go and keep it filled. I used an adjustable down haul to allow the tack to rise when heading further downwind. Attached is the Home Depot contraption I use to hook the tack over my furled headsail. Anything that slides up and down over Dacron will work.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hull376; 07-13-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    Kent

Slick device. I've recently see a bunch of videos of chutes flying WITHOUT a sliding shackle or furled headsail device on the head stay but simply tacked to the bow with a 5' painter(?)

+ Reply to Thread