Thread: Ariel entered in Single Handed Transpac Race

Threaded View

Kent, assume you agree with pbryant's 26" of freeboard?

Can't argue with those cast-in-gelcoat waterlines, can we?
    Assume the boat was delivered with topsides down to here and bottom paint up to here!
    If the waterline fluctuated, is there an average location on the 440 Ariel's produced?

If your yardsticks are like my yardstick,
    Then Pearson also may have changed the waterline (from the Alberg original).

Assume that the resin and glass schedule was kept the same throughout the model run.
    Altho there are posts here of earlier Ariels with much thicker layups below the turn of
    the bilge. Assume those boats floated deeper, or did the waterline fluctuate?
    Assume a newly purchased 1965 Areil would always float exactly on her "lines".
    Maybe an inch of bottom showing.
    It takes a lot of expert fiddling to tape for an altered waterline under the counter.
    Pearson could have at any time moved the embedded "glass" waterline, as well.

Looks like my bootstripe is going to be under water (and I naturally have used the
    wrong paint down there for that. DANG!)
    Remember I ran into those same lines you'all have, when stripping the bottom paint,
    but lost them in all the excitement!

Still, I'm really unhappy with the reported sluggish sailing on what really seems to be a
    mildly overloaded boat...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
    There are a few more important anomalies on the underwater aspect of the Ariel, which
    are not appropriate for discussion here. I've talked about them elsewhere. Hope
    --on littlegull -- some of the sluggishness of an overloaded cruising Ariel is diminished.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

AHOY ACTIVE ARIELS ! ! !

CAN ANYONE ELSE CONFIRM THE 26" TOERAIL TO WATERLINE FREEBOARD?
    (measured at the aft chainplate.)
    Last edited by ebb; 06-03-2016 at 08:06 AM.