Thread: Ariel entered in Single Handed Transpac Race

Threaded View

Exclamation littlegull's WL

When my boat as "SunQuest" left the water years ago, I did not measure where the
    waterline was. Boat has not seen water since.
    I've spent an inordinate amount of time, measuring and remeasuring the boat using
    the autographed Alberg lines drawing in the Manual, pg144.
    This drawing shows an Ariel with a curved sheer of about 3" at its center -- at the aft
    chainplate. This is not the only

DESIGN ANOMALY
    MY PEARSON ARIEL HAS A DEAD STRAIGHT SHEER FROM STEM TO STERN.

Nevertheless, I've used the Alberg drawing as my bible.
    The waterline on the drawing measures 30" below the top of the toerail.

It's impossible to understand how Pearson managed to straighten Alberg's sheer!*
    Yesterday, I took a yardstick to see what I had painted on the littlegull. The 30"
    measure is to the bottom of the bootstripe. Obviously, I think the drawing doesn't lie.

BUT, therefore, my waterline is 3" higher that what the drawing witnesses, since my
    toerail is 3" higher than the toerail in the drawing. That's what I laid out on the boat.

WE DON'T KNOW WHERE THE FACTORY PUT THE ORIGINAL WATERLINE, do we?
    I'll be witness at splash time, won't I? (Actually, ebhb. you've made so many changes
    and additions, littlegull's waterline is your waterline wherever.)

There is also no way of knowing exactly what total displacement the Ariel has. There
    are different displacements in the literature. I don't know if there ever was an actual
    total weight of an Ariel, and what it included. Assume it's something over 5,000lbs.

Either we take what the drawing seems to show, OR there is another, a Pearson, norm.
    My Ariel has languished out of the water long enough to have no water left in the
    laminate, or in the balsa core of the deck composite, or in the encapsulated keel.

So that's them apples!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *Alberg's drawing does have a straight line just above the curvy toerail, which
    shows the crown of the deck at the centerline. Maybe Pearson got confused and used
    the wrong line.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-03-2016 at 07:53 AM.