+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waterspouts and all that

Waterspouts and all that

This is a website you have to check out. These are pictures, along with the story of a whole bunch of waterspouts in northern Lake Michigan this past summer. These pictures are ones to put in your permanent file.

http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~sbbc/waterspout.html

Nauti Twisters, that's what I call them .

I tried t o locate the photo I took here that came too close for comfort

The first time I saw one, it was only about a qurter mile away.
    To say I experienced anxiety would be putting it mildly.

They say you are to sail perpendicular and away. to best avoid them.

We encountered a row of them, we counted 8 in various stages of formation, some fullly formed, others half way down, some just starting,. Quite the show.

I had one pass by me many years ago, not sure what it was. I thought they only occurred in the open ocean, particularly around Asia. It sounded like a freight train, as I recall.

But, I haven't heard of anyone getting caught in one (Maybe no one survived to tell the story, I don't know). All I've heard regarding avoidance, is get the sails down.

I saw 3 drop out of the sky in August 1986 when we were sailing down Chesapeake Bay , they passed about 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead of us . we were under storm jib and reefed mizzen ( yawl ) & we were still surfing beyond hull speed .

I cant find my pictures , but it looked just like this from the storm , Lili , down in the gulf !
    Attached Images  

These kinds of twisters are probably responsible for boats lost in the Bermuda Triangle, what do you think?

I think it is a combination of the heavy volume of boat traffic, a sensationalist press, the neat sound of the term "Bermuda Triangle" more than any one type of weather.

No No! It's extra-terrestrials - part of their plan for the domination of Earth. Wrap your head in aluminum foil, so they can't read your mind...

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    This guy was drifting around out there for 74 days. He's so nuts even the aliens didn't want him.

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/10/05/Ta...r_remain.shtml

+ Reply to Thread