+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: C-025 Bisquit

Hybrid View

C-025 Bisquit

The boat is in a state of severe neglect. It will require a complete frame off restoration. When I am done, no matter how good the restoration, she will still not be worth much – but it is such a beautiful boat. Not as she lies but in my mind. She will have gleaming maroon hull sides, a classic white and buff deck and varnish so deep and smooth the teak underneath will appear to be floating just below the surface of still pond. Right now she is a sad. If I don’t rescue her she will go to the dump. We will cut the lead from the keel and sell the outboard and mast as scrap aluminum. The carcass will be hauled off to a landfill where it will be crushed and mixed in a stew of plastic packaging and potato peels and topped by a layer of soil in a pot pie of excess. I can’t let that happen.

I know better. I’ve been working in the marine industry for over 25 years. I’ve done everything from operating a travelift and working in the glass shop to sales and marketing. Smart people in this industry sail on other people’s boats – they don’t own them. I’ve owned boats but usually just long enough to clean them up and sell them. I should not start this project. I know better. I’m also not that smart.

I started a blog to track the progress and post musings. You can see it at:
    https://bisquitreborn.wordpress.com/
    I will have loads of questions

Thumbs up Congratulations on not being that 'smart'

You have a great group of innovative and inspired Commander skippers here.

They will keep you 'in the frame'!

Thanks for saving her....

Posting here, as well, by creating a Gallery page, will get you feedback.

Keep attention here as well as your new blog by updating posts and pictures...

good way to go.

As Found

Here are a few pictures of the boat as found. It's gonna be fun.
    Attached Images          

Hatch Before and After

It was too cold yesterday to work outside so I rebuilt the main companionway hatch. All that was left were half a dozen of the louvers. I recreated the hatch from these. I used the old ones. Ready for varnish.
    Attached Images      

Oh Man, this is gonna be good!

Cheers to you for the rescue. What's your name, or shall we call you Biscuit?

... oh and Grace is a terrific boat name, but taken here... by our sadly in absentia C-200 Commander Pete.

Gale Warning, Full Gail, Strong Gail, Whole Gail, Graceful, Full of Grace, Say Grace, Gracie, Glen Gracie Glen Gail....... !

Kyle,
    Your boat is beautiful. I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Phil Pollard. I'm the sales manager at Crowley's in Chicago. It's nice to see another Lake Michigan Commander.
    Phil

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Have fun with the refit and we all love pictures!
    Mike
    C227

Phil

Thanks for keeping another commander out of the dump. You have your work cut out for you but these boats are absolutely worth it. Please keep posting here on your progress. It is a really good log of everything you have to go through to get her back in shape. I have several friends who check on my progress frequently and you will also.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Bisquit

Phil.
    Lucky Bisquit to have found you.... that's quality carpentry you do there!

Wondering if you are thinking to change her name.
    (personally I think it's a perfect name for a little ship!)

Had to take a quick look and discovered this:
    There was a famous undersized race horse named Seabiscuit.
    Sired by a stallion named HardTack.
    HardTack was sired by Man O'War and a mare called Tea Bisquit.

Tea bisquits are served with tea, wherever English tea is served, what we call cookies.

Of course bisquits are a different form of flakey consumable in the States,
    often served up hot with gravy or butter and hominy grits....

It's going to take a lot of gravy and grit to get C025 looking fine again....

Here's looking at her!!!

I am going to take my time on the name. Tea Bisquit is nice though. It will be in the running. I finished removing all the hardware and trim and pressure washed the interior. She is ready to go in the shed and start with the deck re-core. I'll post some pictures of the progress when she is moved and staged. Tomorrow I hope. Here is a before and after on the engine well access panel. I'm using 1/2" smoked lexan for the door and I will replace the dead lights with the same.
    Attached Images    

Form more musings on names check out my blog post on the topic.

https://bisquitreborn.wordpress.com/...14/boat-names/

bisque kit

Well, you have given it much thought, and it sounds personal...
    (My daughter chose her mother's middle name Gail, as her writer nom-de-plume.)

Nowadays bisquit seems more to be a name for a color, than historical navy food.
    Maybe a more formal name for Bisquit will reveal itself. Bisqui't is rather plain!

But the name is fun, as it brings to mind the word CRACKER and Cracker Jack, both
    with a number of meanings. (I have a particular dislike for obvious puns in boat names.)
    PRETZEL, SALTINE both salty.. but one comes with mustard.
    CRULLER, ECLAIR and MUFFIN. SCONE and of course CUPCAKE

Hoeny Bisquit, Tea and CRUMPETs, which brings to mind TRUMPETS...when you splash.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................
    You feel like a pretzel after a day working below.
    cracker's what's your head been up to.
    cruller is SO bad.
    but eclair has a nice sound and met with a rumble in the belly
    scone is too starbucks, and there was boat named scone dove.
    cupcake is too obvious and common. Brass Cupcake is a great novel.
    I can see how bisquit isn't going to make it....
    I'll be quiet now.
    Last edited by ebb; 04-27-2015 at 03:07 PM.

The New Crib

Name:  2015-04-29 18.53.36.jpg
Views: 3207
Size:  78.3 KBName:  2015-04-29 18.19.00.jpg
Views: 3303
Size:  79.8 KBName:  2015-04-29 18.19.23.jpg
Views: 3130
Size:  131.2 KBName:  2015-04-29 18.03.05.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  89.9 KBName:  2015-04-29 18.53.03.jpg
Views: 3219
Size:  72.9 KBBisquit has been moved from the corner of the yard where we store forgotten boats - The Island of Misfit Toys. She is in a storage shed that will be her new home until she is ready for paint. I set up some staging and she is ready for the heavy work. I got her pressure washed inside and out so working on her will be bearable. I still have a few hardware items to remove (stemhead fitting, bow chocks deadlights and outboard jib tracks) - everything else has been removed.

And the fun begins! I remember very well what doing that kind of work is like. Having an inside place to work sure makes the job a lot more tolerable.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Commander Deck Layout Drawings

I made a couple of deck drawings so I can sketch out some ideas for deck layouts. They are not exact but close enough for government work.
    Attached Images    

+ Reply to Thread