Thread: rudder bearing source

Threaded View

Exclamation O-ring Alert On Your New Delrin Sleeve-bearing

Agree with Bill, rico,
    The 338 cap is as smooth inside as low grade corrosion can be. No flanges or grooves, which is not to say the Pearson or a DFO didn't have something else there. The only added rubber COULD be a washer put on the inside of the cap where it sits on the bearing. Don't think it necessary unless you are using the washer to change the position of the cap for the setscrews because the fiberglass tube is messed up where they go. In other words, you could use a washer to lift the cap so it rides higher and exposes unviolated rudder tube to drill into with the setscrews.

The cap is not tight on the bearing. It should allow a bit of drainage for any water that gets in there.

Rico, thanks for the photo of the cap. It's great to have something to see when talking about it. Looking inside I can only imagine a ledge as you say. Just what exactly was in there??? That blue disk??? It might have been someone's attempt at snugging the cap, that stuck around for you to find? Imco it's better that what water gets in gets out quick.

Good to know the new bearing and O-rings work well.
    EPDM* (on some re-research) does best for the price and application, so that must be what Bill supplies with the bearing.
    Viton, which is expensive, and whose usual ap is for fuel, has better 'compression set' rating and may last longer in the inside 'dynamic' ap in the sleeve bearing. Don't quote me.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
    I see by reading this whole thread that Ebb originally got NEOPRENE O-rings! After two years on rico's bateau they still working great. BUT
    I am going to reorder the rings and get EPDM which has a much better rating in the weathering/ozone department (we are exterior ap on the boat) - also in the compressionset department - and in the wear/abrasion dept. Neoprene has a 'poor' rating in compression set. That means it will get flat and stay flat and eventually sea water will shoot up into the cockpit again and the rudder shaft will loosen. SO.....

I RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHANGE-OUT THE O-RINGS THAT CAME WITH YOUR NEW DELRIN BEARING FOR THE EPDM RINGS.....

I'll take it upon myself to mail to any member of the Association a set of EPDM O-rings for their delrin bearing.
    Let's use the Private Message option here on the site.

First, have to order them. Today (12/6/07)

Then, ask Bill if it's alright with him that this is the way to do it.
    Bill, is this OK with you?
    (Original O-ring sacks may have material designations, will you look?
    Can't believe I went with neoprene!!!)
    Last edited by ebb; 12-06-2007 at 01:14 PM.