+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking for mainsail dimensions

Hybrid View

looking for mainsail dimensions

I am having trouble finding the correct dimensions for my commander mainsail. I need to replace it and i am having trouble finding a replacement. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Jeff Zimmerman

Most sailmakers should have sail patterns for the Ariel/Commander yacht. Dimensions alone do not a sail make . . . (dimensions are in the manual).

The best info for dimensions you are going to find without the manual is on the sailrite sails database; however their measurements are made by a computer algorithm, so not exact.
    If you are getting a new sail I highly recommend purchasing the manual and taking a visit to your local sailmaker with your old main.
    If you are trying to match a used main from other boats on the internet, your biggest concern is that the foot is not too long. Its much easier for a sail repairman to to shorten luff of a sail.
    Or, you might luck out and find someone on here willing to part with a racing sail past its prime.

Thanks for the reply regarding mainsail measurements. Unfortunately, the main that came with the boat is a generic sail that is at least 2 feet short all the way around. I would be very interested in purchasing a used main from this forum and have a new sail made over the winter. Jeff

Hogin Sails in Alameda has supplied the local class with sails and they are excellent. In the past, shipping has not been an issue. That said, a local loft will come out and measure your boat before cutting a new sail. Most established lofts should have cloth cutting plans for AC yachts, since Pearson's were popular in the day. Ask Hogin for a quote. No cost for that. (Ask if the Ariel Class discount is still available.)

Hogin Sails
    1801 D Clement Avenue , Alameda
    CA , US , 94501
    Fax: (510) 523-2339
    Call: (510) 523-4388
    Email: steve@hoginsails.com

+ Reply to Thread