+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a rudder?

Need a rudder?

Since I am converting Destiny to an inboard boat I have a perfectly good rudder that can be used on a outboard boat. The previous owner had this made and I believe it is similar in construction to what I am building now for Destiny. That is a plywood core wrapped in fiberglass. The shaft is stainless and continuous (which is why I needed to start over).

If you want it you pay shipping and give me what you think it is worth it is yours.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Hi Jerry, I am interested in the rudder. I just purchase Commander #3 from Maine last month and the rudder looks a little tired. Any idea what the rudder weighs? I want to estimate the shipping cost to NJ. I'm assuming the rudder is in Brooksville, Fl.

Thanks

Fritz

Fritz

The rudder itself weighs in at 39 lbs. but it probably needs some type of crating around it to survive the trip north. And yes it is located in Brooksville, FL.

Let me know if you need anything else.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Hi Jerry, sorry my delayed response. I am definitely interested in your rudder. I am going to visit my local ups store and get an approx. price on freight. I went online and it looks like there are two ups stores in your area. My thought is to have you drop it off at one of these ups stores and have them pack it appropriately and ship up to NJ for me. I just want to make sure that the shipping is reasonable before we proceed. Thanks for your patience. Fritz

Just let me know what you want to do Fritz. I'm not in a hurry.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Rudder

Hi Jerry, If Fritz doesn't end up buying your rudder then please let me know, I would like to purchase it, thanks Craig

rudder

Hi Jerry, I went to UPS yesterday and got a shipping price...more reasonable than I thought. Please consider the rudder sold. I will email you later to work out price. I'm on a jobsite now and am working off my Blackberry. Fritz

Sorry Craig but thanks for not trying t buy it prior to my decision.

Hi Guys

Well Craig it looks like Fritz is going to take it.

I priced having a fiberglass rudder built and because they had to make a mold to do it it would have cost $5,000.00 to have it made. So I am glad someone will get some use out of this one that is in perfectly fine condition.

Fritz I will await your e-mail.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Hi Jerry, I sent you a private email from my office computer a few hours ago. I am now home and looking for the email I sent you but can not find it. I just want to make sure you got it. I'm still learning how this forum works...want to make sure I did it right. If you did not get the email, I will resend.

Thanks

Fritz

No message here....

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Hi Jerry, I sent you a private email from my office computer a few hours ago. I am now home and looking for the email I sent you but can not find it. I just want to make sure you got it. I'm still learning how this forum works...want to make sure I did it right. If you did not get the email, I will resend.
    Did not receive the message. I'll try sending you a private message with the phone number to call me.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Hi Jerry, I did not recieve your private message. I sent you another one a few minutes ago. Maybe this one worked.

Thanks

Fritz

Fritz

Not sure what is going on but did not receive it.

call me at the following number.
    Last edited by Commander 147; 06-07-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Dear Jerry and Friends,

I need a rudder for my Pearson Ariel. It's a 53 year long story related to corrosion of the bronze shaft near the top rudder shaft bolt. It appears that you have sold your rudder. Does anyone else have a Pearson Ariel rudder for sale that is in good condition?

Regards,

Scott
    Scott

Talking Not what you wanted to hear

Scott,

Awhile ago, after seeing someone here post his copy of the original
    bronze shaft and Honduras plank rudder,

sent to Bill, our Leader, an ebb upgrade for building a new traditional
    rudder. It uses the original plan of internal rods anchored to the shaft.
    BUT
    In my opinion the method is far easier and cleaner than the original.

Maybe you can wheedle a copy from Bill?

Your friend, Ebb

Is it the rudder shaft that's the problem, or the rudder itself? Ariels have a split shaft and often the upper portion gets corrosion damage, often from hot marinas. Replacing the upper portion of the shaft may be all that's needed. But, use marine bronze as SS will create a current between itself and all the other bronze underwater fittings on the boat, causing future failure. Search for rudder shaft using the Google method described in this forum for more information.

+ Reply to Thread