+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a rudder?

Hybrid View

Is it the rudder shaft that's the problem, or the rudder itself? Ariels have a split shaft and often the upper portion gets corrosion damage, often from hot marinas. Replacing the upper portion of the shaft may be all that's needed. But, use marine bronze as SS will create a current between itself and all the other bronze underwater fittings on the boat, causing future failure. Search for rudder shaft using the Google method described in this forum for more information.

Actually, I hauled my Ariel for routine hull maintenance and installation of a new transducer in July. The hull is in excellent shape. Regarding the rudder, the presenting problem was the rudder blade, which was apparently adversely affected by placing a zinc connected to an upper shaft bolt on the mahogany rudder. The rudder looked OK with the exception of some vertical cracks in the paint when first hauled, but as the rudder blade dried, the wood in the vicinity of the zinc split open revealing significant erosion of the wood. I installed the zinc with the intent of protecting the upper shaft after I inspected the rudder shaft some time ago. With the exception of an area about six inches around the zinc, the 53 year-old rudder blade is in excellent condition. While considering replacement of a section to the rudder or otherwise repairing it, we looked into the condition of the 53 year-old bronze rudder shaft.

The shaft at the the top the rudder is pink in part and there is significant loss of bronze in the immediate area of the topmost rudder bolt. This is the location where one would expect the shaft to break. If anyone has an Ariel rudder in good condition, that would be great. Otherwise it looks like a new rudder for my boat.

Now I do have a question. Many sail boats boats have stainless steel engine shafts and stainless steel rudder shafts. And many of those same boats also have bronze through hull fittings, bronze sea cocks etc. The Pearson Ariel has a bronze rudder shaft and a bronze rudder shoe. It certainly makes sense to use one metal for both components, but with the split Ariel rudder shaft, it appears that you cannot protect the rudder upper shaft with a rudder zinc without destroying the mahogany rudder blade, which through some research and personal experience appears to be a poor solution on a wood rudder and a poor solution on any wood boat for that matter...or it appears so from what I have recently read.

This is a quote from a wooden boat forum: "The reason that anodes on wooden boats are often NOT suggested is that the electrolytic action induced by the anode destroys the wood in the areas immediately surrounding the anode."

So has anyone actually had problems with a one piece stainless feel rudders shaft used on a Pearson Ariel with a bronze rudder shoe? I am considering a stainless steel shaft with a stainless steel reinforced rudder blade and the existing bronze rudder shoe. I have spoken in person to one owner who experienced failure of a bronze rudder bolt on a newer stainless steel rudder shaft. What have you all experienced?
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread