+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

C'Pete, how about these shots of Bill's. Modifications on a molecular level? G a w d I feel exposed!

I am fully open to criticism, advice and hate email, points of order, rants and opinions.

Get back to you on the bronze. Naturally I've upscaled the plates to 1/4 and fattened up the knees. They aren't glassed yet either.
    Thanks.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Ebb, that's gonna be one tough boat.

If you run into a whale out there, you'll have to drag the dead carcass home and sell it to a Japanese restaurant.

WOW!!! A busy guy. Enjoyed the show. Looking forward to Part 2 of "Ebb's Modifications on a Molecular Level."

You guys have now sufficiently motivated / shamed me into a much more extensive houlout than planned.

I don't know whether to thank you or to curse you all....
    Last edited by Janice Collins; 09-13-2002 at 04:11 PM.

Ebb!
    Are you crazy? You'll shoot your eye out!
    Seriously though, that's substantial AND fine looking work you've done on 338. I too, will be waiting for part two and am comforted in the fact that the road before has been paved for me( with your sweat and effort ) I'm glad I just 'dumped'a lot of photos from memory the other day 'cause now I can fill it back up with these.

Ebb,
    I'm jealous , wanted to do a radical interior like yours , but not with the boat in the water and dont have the right real estate for storage .
    I'm drinking a Beamish stout to #338 !

dun strungd up

Ebb
    What material did you use for your stringers you added up front? Is that just kerf cut wood? How 'bout them tunnels under your cockpit? You're planning on removing alot of water! Better prepared than sunk. Those are pretty clean through hulls under the quarter, is it all FRP? It kind of looks like PVC. Does the galley sink tie into the cockpit drain or are you going sans sink in lieu of take out? Hey while I'm rambling on the subject how big of cockpit scuppers did you add? Won't sleep 'till I know...

By the way Bill, Thanks for the fun and I hope you were properly compensated for your efforts

crazy ebb thanks you.

Tony sir, shoot my eye out? Must be my daughter's generation. Shoot my wad, that I can do. This is a very expensive proposition that only the wise and the lucky should attempt. Otherwise you're like me: you just shoot first and pay the consequences later.

Rambling on:
    The stringers now run continuous from stem to lazarette. In the fo'csl they taper to the stem. It's just kerfcut Alaskan yellow cedar (from decking material.) I copied Pearson's spwcs: 1 1/2" X 1 1/2", 3/4" rounded. Pearson's are mahogany. 338's are not a fair run main cabin to the forward compartment. Which for some reason annoys the hell outa me. Because I couldn't fix it.

The tunnels are epoxy frp gas pipe, it's about 2 3/16" ID. Pricey, Very strong and stiff. It's the forward drains that required the long run under the cockpit. That plywood Portageese strongback is gonna GO!

The pipe uses wierd cast epoxy 90s - T.s - and 45s. The T-leg is cut short and tight to the cokpit bottom to bring the run up as high as I could get it to get a decent drop. Exits above the waterline. (where's the waterline?) I put T's there into the cabin rather than 90s for cleanouts (othjerwise the run would be blind) and to maybe add a sink drain to one. The sink would have to be two inches deep. There are 45s at the transom exit to help keep backflow minimum. No flappers maybe.

I want to put scuppers in the rear too. There are many issues to be dealt with in this area. But they'll probably be straight thrus like the rudder tube.

Galley sink is another kettle of fish. If the refit ends up a bachelor pod, the bachelor then could lift one of the two buckets (IE double sink) and dump it down a special funnel in the cockpit scupper. Hell, this b. is tall enough to wash his bowl and spoon leaning over the bridgedeck from inside, almost.

The plan is to waterproof the cockpit lockers. And it's hard not to think about putting in propane lockers in the afterend. I'ld like to kick this one around with the captains courageous here.

cheers Mike, et al, soon as the jaberwoky whistles I'll hoist a Beamish Stout with the crew.
    Last edited by ebb; 09-16-2002 at 09:02 AM.

custom water tanks, etc

hey ebb, i was wondering what your final plan is for plumbing, etc.
    where/how much are your custom water tanks?
    where is your holding tank going?
    my current water tank is the original gavanized or common steel (can't tell which) and has rusted to oblivion.
    and the holding tank was a 15-year old- .00005 mL capacity plastic bladder. originally sold as the (not kidding here) "Poo-Loo System" when i pulled on the handle to check the condition, the handle pulled out of the ultra thin plastic walls. so i am now totally out of USCG plumbing code. (good thing i am also totally out of the water...)
    anyway, let us know your longterm plumbing plans (especially in-boat arragements and sources)

-km #3

tanks alot

Capt. km#3. I had a monel tank up there in the Vee. I took it out per the tips in the Manual and recycled it. This is now where the chain locker is being constructed in 338.

So I moved the watertank(s) to both sides of the remaining V-berth. Laborously made two 1/4" luan ply models in the spaces (including barrelstaving the side along the hull.) Instead of a triangular section tank I glassed in a narrow foot for the tanks to rest on. So the tanks are sort of 4 sided. Plus ends.

(I figured the tanks to be about 20 gals each. That 300 pounds. a considerable weight up forward. That's bulkhead to blkhd under the original plywood berth tops.))

I then set about trying to find someone to make the damn things in polyethylene or polypropolene. Made up kits of photos and measurements and places for fittings. Not one single return. These custom guys who hot air weld the plastic can only think in right angles. The curved side of the tank, I think,must have insulted them.

I'm going to have to use the models for forms myself to make them out of vinylester and glass. This is probably not a problem, but I understand is very labor intensive - I can use the time elsewhere on the refit. One can still get tanks made from monel. At $600 a pop for the poly I got on one quote that didn't pan out I may ask a welding shop how many thousands a monel one goes for. Stainless is not currently a choice because of rust at the welds. But I will research that. It's also added weight. A glass one will no doubt weigh more than a metal one.

I really don't lnow as I haven't made any tanks befor. It just seemed easier to pay thru the nose for a hand crafted one than do it myself.

I thought the holding tank could go up forward if and when I get to it but don't know for sure. I'm putting in a new watertight bulkhead right where the watertank and the sanipooper used to be. The Theteford head will be right there where it has to be between the V-berths untill I upscale down the line.

Yes, and I'm going to have to be monitered real close here by you guys when I do get to the plumbing and electrics!
    Last edited by ebb; 11-14-2002 at 04:45 PM.

Ok, time to get back to the original thread. Although the olive harvest and wine crush were getting in the way, Ebb did make some progress in the past couple of months.

First there is the (very) modified outboard engine layout in the lazarette. Check this out . . .
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill II; 12-19-2002 at 07:24 PM.

Hmm. Thought I had figured out how to
    reduce the photo size, but I guess not.

Need to proceed, so please be patient
    with these oversized pics.
    Next, we have three views of the chain locker progress:

No 1 is taken from outside the forecabin
    Last edited by Bill; 12-19-2002 at 07:08 PM.

No 2 is looking threw the new bulkhead
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill II; 12-19-2002 at 07:28 PM.

Chainlocker number 3 is looking into the locker
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill II; 12-19-2002 at 07:29 PM.

And, one more pic. This is a real work of art.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill II; 12-19-2002 at 07:31 PM.

There you are, photo exhibits of Ebb's progress.

Ebb will now answer your questions about the ob well modifications.
    Last edited by Bill; 12-20-2002 at 07:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread