+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Thumbs up Tough Nell

C'pete,
    There's an island out there in the Pacific named MILLIWAYS where it's always Saturday afternoon and there's always a nice cool breeze.*
    Next to a barefoot beach bar called Ursa Minor Beta there's an annex which actually is a well stocked marine store with perpetual 60's prices on everything.
    Marvin's there of course, as always, but you'll probably find some of your best friends and old acquaintances getting some gear or having a beer. Brion Toss,

>google< Brion Toss Yacht Riggers Fairleads Newsletter
    http://www.briontoss.com/education/a.../miscjan04.htm

he might be around too having some turnbuckles tightened - or flaking a schooner's chain bucket. Anyway, since he's here, take a look at his ultimate multi-pocket traveling vest**, which you should fill up while you are on the island.
    Where ever you voyage in this universe, you'll have the right tool to get you out of trouble.
    And one of them, as C'pete reminds us, is Tefgel - keep it in the same pocket as your pink pearl.

Happy solstice you old f... salts!
    Last edited by ebb; 12-14-2006 at 11:44 AM.

ebb:There comes a time when an object is taken beyond functional form or craft, where form and function become secondary, and the object enters into something that is recognized by most as art. Your ideas and hard work have created, in my opinion, a wonderful work of art. I have gotten a lot of pleasure and a surprize or two following your progress. Well done. I can't wait to see the final form that your boat will take. More photographs please.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 01-23-2007 at 10:39 AM.

the proof

oh boy....

you know, I've been up in the palms
    dropping coconuts
    to lovely Fayaway, who doesn't
    seem to have aged a day...

we must return to the boat
    and get the pudding
    started again.

Lightbulb Getting to know

'Some people say,"How can you live without knowing?" I do not know what

they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to

know is what I want to know. R Feynman (roofwiz 74)'

[off a roofing forum ]

Ebb...nothing to do with sailing, yet EVERYTHING to do with sailing.....I'm catching up on my 'Thoreau'......gotta luv the guy.Hits home in SO many ways!! Gotta get out here Buddy !! it truly is 'life on Walden'..simle-simple-simple

Lightbulb Feynman = Thoreau

Frank,
    Yer absolutely correct. Feynman was a latter day Thoreau. But also a bongo player!

Here's a coupla quotes:

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts."

"If we will only allow that, as we progress, we remain unsure, we will leave opportunities for alternatives.
    We will not become enthusiastic for the fact, the knowledge, the absolute
    truth of the day, but remain always uncertain...
    In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar."

And here's one on being true to yerself:
    (On pseudoscience) "...There is one feature I notice that is generally missing in 'cargo cult science'...
    It is a kind of scientific integrity, a principle of scientific thought that corresponds to a kind of utter honesty - a kind of leaning over backwards...
    For example, if you are doing an experiment, you should report everything that you think might make it invalid
    - not only what you think is right about it...
    Details that could throw doubt on your interpretation must be given,
    if you know them."
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    Not comparing. Just that these two share certain attributes and genius.

"When a man has reduced a fact of his imagination to be a fact of his understanding,
    I foresee that all men will at length establish their lives on that basis." Thoreau

Ken Kifer (which see) says this of T. - some of which is true for Feynman.
    "Thoreau does not hesitate to use metaphores, allusions, understatement, hyperbole, personification, irony, satire, metonymy, synecoche, and oxymorons - and he can shift from a scientific to a transcendental point of view in mid-sentence. ...
    A Thoreauvian lifestyle is almost exactly the opposite of the consumer treadmill that most people find themselves running on today. ...
    If you wish a boring and conventional life, devoting your days to working for someone else, your nights watching TV, your weekends to cutting grass, and your cash to purchasing one consumer product after another, THOREAU IS NOT FOR YOU. ...."
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________-
    yes, somehow Frank, I believe you have crawled out of the dragon's mouth!
    Last edited by ebb; 02-01-2007 at 12:02 AM.

"Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk"- Thoreau. Yes, maybe another class of red wine and I'll understand something about what he was talking about..maybe not, after all this small room is so very crowded and I'm all so perfectly alone.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 02-01-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Gifted people can often be plain obnoxious.
    Because they're special we give em a little extra slack.
    We should more likely be tightening a noose around their necks.

Ebb.Hope all is well in your life.Boat update please. Pictures Ebb...we need pictures ;-)

Thanks Frank!
    Been sidetracked, and my work ethic is not near yours, my friend.
    Also, I have offended the admiral here. Don't know what, but that's how it is.

Little Gull

In two thousand my daughter and I visited Danmark. Notable in that we had not done anything like this befor. We decided to void the relatives trap so that things Danish were not family-filtered. We stayed in relatively cheap hotels, like the Saga Hotel in Copenhagen's redlight district and at bare bones squeekykleen no privacy hostels. We rented a sedan and did the Viking ships, ironage Viking camps, old market towns, and slots all round the islands of Danmark.

Inside Valdemir's Slot we found the usual portraits of sourfaced, overdressed humans in ornate frames, extreme candelabras, and uncomfortable furniture. I remember my mother saying to me that when she was a schoolgirl she had to memorize endless battles of northern european history. Not doubt she knew Admiral Valdemir's decisive defeat of the Swedes (in what century I did not record), that rewarded him with a Slot and handsome estate and a bunch of gold Krona.

As we climbed into the upper reaches of the castle it became evident that the slot was actually a huge timberframe barn with a 4 story veneer of fancy stonework and masonry outside.
    The fourth floor was a vaulted vestry of oversized fitted baulks, handhewn rafters, massive purlines and cleargrain pine plank floors. It was cram packed with stuffed animals. Every animal and bird from every continent looking up/out/down at us. A deathly silent taxidermy zoo.

Who would have thought the famous maritime hero's pastime was filling the slot's shiplike attic with a representative of every animal on the planet? Maybe there was no room for an elephant or rhino, but I can't remember, there were wild cats and crocs and polar bear, maybe a camel.
    I became depressed.
    Was it this bizzare mausoleum of too many bodies in a country manor?
    But his grateful king was but a king of a very modest country.
    And the admiral's estate was quite modest with an equally modest slot...

I went thru the narrow ladyrinths of glass-eyed beasties and glass cases a second time...
    YES, there wasn't a single pair of a single specimen.
    Only one of each!

The admiral was a half-arsed noah hiding away a neurotic collection of trophies in his modest Danish attic. He had counted space for only one each! Lonely, even in death, one each. I wondered if he had shot and collected one sex of each beast, males only, him being a military man...
    I shot a couple photos as I left, one of Larus Minutas, a tiny, tidy, well proportioned Little Gull. Black hooded, beige grey wings, white bodied, red legged and amber billed. Smallest gull in the world. Sweet. Could this one specimen represent the one and only Danish wild creature in the collection - apart from a fox, a hare, and a partridge?
    I vowed that one day I would memorialize a mate for this particular little creature...

Ariel # 338 (nee Sun Quest) today in the mail received her Coast Guard documentation and with an appropriate de-naming/re-naming ceremony (to come) will hence forth be known as

LITTLE GULL

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Correction: Valdemars Slot is a 2000 acre semi-private estate, the largest in Denamrk (which is the 'size of Maryland'). The castle is a 90,000ft2 manor house with 22' ceilings on the first floor, 18' ceilings on the second, and the equally proportioned bi-level attic (something I forgot, along with tons of other stuff!). It was built in the 17th century by Christian IV for his son Prince Valdemar, who died soon thereafter. When Admiral Niels Juel won his huge sea battle against the Swedes in 1677, his 'bonus' was the estate. Today, it is a major tourist attraction, you pay to visit, it has a coffee shop and the Admiral's descendants - 10 generations later - still keep it dusted without monetary help from the Danish Gov't. (Who's to say that some of the interim generations were not big game hunters as well, and contributed to the bodies in the attic?) The slot is equally an attraction for a fabulous snuff box with a miniature painting of a couple having sex on its lid. Postcards available. And a museum of yacht models and nautical memorabilia we completely missed!
    Last edited by ebb; 05-29-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Ariel # 338 (nee Sun Quest) today in the mail received her Coast Guard documentation and with an appropriate de-naming/re-naming ceremony (to come) will hence forth be known as LITTLE GULL
    The association records are revised to reflect her new name . . .

Ebb, very nice name and so appropriate! Cheers to Little Gull! Looking forward to her re-launch...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Ebb

That's a fine name. The de/renaming ceremony sounds like it may be quite a shindig.

cheers,
    bill

Thanks, guys!
    One of these days.........

+ Reply to Thread