+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

HAS to be a catamaran, right? Those hulls ain't wide enuf to stand up on their own. IF it is a cat, just imagine the coordination it'd take the skipper and the mate to steer the thing with them separate rudders and ten foot tillers!
    Last edited by ebb; 03-20-2005 at 06:30 AM.

Meow

That is a James Wharram cat, not sure of the model , might be a Tangaroa .
    The tillers are connected with an arm so they move in concert .
    That is not a "stock" cabin design !

Hatch Hutch Progess

Plantation tending has kept EBb very busy this spring, but he has made some progress on the hutch for the ob compartment. Looking at the aft end from outside the "garage:"
    Attached Images  

From above
    Attached Images  

With lid in place (Got to figure out why the flash quit):
    Attached Images  

Nice craftsmanship on that hood Ebb. I was wondering where you are putting the traveler now, on the hood somehow or further forward in the cockpit?

Thanks Tim!,
    Travelor? Whart travelor?

Well, since this is sort of a public work in progress, maybe you can get me out of trouble

Aunty Ariel, the Angel of inspiration has failed me on this - however:

1) There could be a midboom travelor on the after part of the hard dodger I plan to put there. But the Angel is telling me that the dodger being so dangerously prominent has to be rounded (therefor not wide enough for a travelor) and I have the feeling that the dodger will have to have a hatch in it also, because it only will have sitting height under.

2) Since the boom on 338 is to be canted up to allow standing in the cockpit, and a vertical pole of some design could be installed permanently to rig a crane to lift the OB out of the well, perhaps this can be conceived as an arch (ouch!) and could also have the travelor on it. Certainly haven't any experience here! This strong structure at the end of the cockpit really appeals to me. It could be independant or part of the push pit. Have installed continuous maranti backing plate under the rear deck, ready for any idea.

Don't have an aesthetic problem with an arch so long as it is practical and necessary.

3) Is a travelor really necessary? What did we do befor Harken? Is there a REAL advantage for a cruiser to have one?

GUYS, GALS, TIM, This is YOUR responsibility
    Last edited by ebb; 06-12-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Traveler or no, I think mainsheet probably should be fairly near aft end of boom for best sail shape control. How much clearance would you say you will have between top of hood and boom? Maybe you could mount some short pedastals on the hood so as not to interfere with your hatch? How strong is that hood anyway???

Boom gallows that double as a lift for the OB? Perhaps similar to this modification on a COntessa 26?

http://www.pocketcruisers.com/contes..._traveler.html
    Last edited by mbd; 06-12-2005 at 08:21 PM.

Tim,
    Stupidly didn't weigh the hutch befor install. Fairly light, but you and me could both stand on it. With added backing plates the sides could be used to partial support a structure that has a base on the deck. Compression strength is built into the rounded shape. but a pointy whomp might hole it, it's about 1/4" in most places, the lid is reinforced with pvc foam, the water channels meant to add 'rib' strength to the opening.

In thinking about this conundrum, It is my feeling that the structure for the travelor should have all of its strength from the base, the feet.

Like Mike's Contessa example (Thanks!), even tho it is obvious rigid, it is able to take the shock of a jibe independantly of, say, the coamings if it had been designed that way.

On an Ariel the end of the boom is at the end of the cockpit. I agree, it is the #1 location for the boom sheet. I'm not sure the hutch creates a convenient seat back/arm rest, I mean I'm not sure if one can sit back there while sailing, but I angled the hutch with that in mind, not thinking that the travelor might have to be there! Therefore in the interests of heads and tails the travelor has to be further back and/or higher.

The Contessa seems to have the sheet purchase at an angle to the end of the boom. The sheet seems to go forward at an angle to the boom. How much of an angle is allowable? I'm aware the travelor at near 90 degrees below the boom is the way it is often designed.

A boom gallows under a boom that's 6 and a half feet off the cockpit sole is TALL! Could be a sliding one? But to lift the OB out of the well with the 'crane' with block and tackle will take a lot of height. So maybe my lifting gear will have to be separate (and carried stowed) like already designed by Gene and Garhauer.

So, now, if the travelor bridge is half way back to get it out of the way, it then will be right over the well.

What happens if the travelor is mounted virtually at the stern? It would would be a bridge maybe nearly 12" high. Is this kopecetic, my friends, is this a solution? Thanks!

EB,
    Since you are making a cruising styled boat...You might concider the type of travler that works off two blocks on the base...IE, they could be mounted on the base of the deck just in front of the hutch...I have seen this on many cruising boats that don't use a travlers at all...I would call it and end block arrangement.....I will try to find a boat and send a picture...Joe Antos

Quote Originally Posted by JOE ANTOS
    . . concider the type of travler that works off two blocks on the base.
    Isn't that the style of the original main sheet setup on the Areil/Commander? The blocks were placed on the two raised sections of the deck just forward of the lazarette hatch and aft of the cockpit seats.

Bill,
    Hi there...I think I saw that style on an Ariel somewhere and on some other boats too...The ability to sheet to winward is lost from my veiw. But it might work for his boat working around the Hutch..Joe

boom sheeting

Thank you, gentlemen, for your interest.

Might I ask the panel:
    The main purpose of a mainsheet travelor is to make it possible to have more adjustment when beating.
    Another reason is to have a more conventient location for the helmsman to control the sheet, which comes from a central block.
    Are there other uses for the travelor? Is a travelor necessary for sail performance?
    Doesn't a rigid vang add more control of the boom that used to asked of the travelor? In other words, maybe we can go back to the original block-only system?
    Has anybody sailed in the Ariel with the old method. Can you compare the two?
    Joe intimates that the deck blocks could be mounted, let's say, more or less even with the end of the boom. Since the boom amidships is the only time that relation occurs, why does it matter where the blocks are placed? There at the end of the cockpit or further aft?

Is it cockpit aesthetics that makes the boom/sheet arrangement look right only when the end of the boom is directly over the travelor? Even tho it could be argued that the boom is never there while sailing?
    Is there a mechanical reason why the travelor could not be mounted across the stern rail? Too odd? Just not done? Just asking. This is hypothetical, the hatch needs to be raised of course.

It just occurs to me that a travelor setup gives at least one more part to the block system, making it easier to haul the boom in.

Has anybody entertained the notion that it would be a good thing to get the travelor out of the cockpit?

Ideas? Mucas Gracious!!!
    Last edited by ebb; 06-27-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Talking timely post.

I should like to add my questions to yours.......

[size=1]Added on edit;[/size]
    But upon edit, I think I will post mine in another thread.....

link to thread on Main sheet Travlelers
    Last edited by c_amos; 06-27-2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: To prevent hijacking

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread