Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Threaded View

Dem Bones, dem bronze bones

Hey Tony,
    THERE are those bronzes!
    How could you not like that 'mid rail chock/cleat' fitting?
    It would schmooze nicely into the new wood rail. On lit'lgull's rail there would even be some wood left UNDER the chock.

Looking at the 'Bronze G Chock' you can't miss the hard edges. Imco this applies to the herreschoff midrail.
    I've not taken these but similar skene's and tried them on the transom with a natural lead from deck cleats. I could not find a fair lead through the skenes that imco didn't have chaffing problems.

I got a couple of those Panama Canal chocks from Spartan and tried them on the transom.
    (Can't locate them right now in the garage - time to do a complete inventory.)
    If I remember they seemed kind of GAWKEY - awkward - even though they'd be useful.*
    The fitting is tall for its base. If these were mounted to the curve of our transom and the cleats were in the usual place (in the middle of the space between the locker lid and the toes rail) the lead of the line through the horns would be across two corners of the fitting. The corners are rounded sort of but not enough for me. Could mount the chocks more in line with the cleat but imco that looks wrong and becomes a fastening problem inside the lazarette. I'm still looking for the right fitting. Something more rounded and plump and easy on rope.

The fittings could be altered/rounded with files and burrs.
    But then it occured to me that these fittings are tight within the designer's concept and any rounding would possibly weaken it. Had to metally discard them. Even though I really liked that midrail......snif.

We protect rope with chaffing gear. BUT chafe protection imco BEGINS with the chock or cleat.

I got some well rounded stainless chocks at a boatshow once. They kind of leaned and were extreme deco - and you could figure eight a line across the horns like a cleat if you had to.
    When I got them to the boat they would barely fit on the transom rail and looked like they had been canabilized off a power boat. Couldn't stomach it.

Hope the rail scupper pix are useful. Don't remember if I took any chop and slop pics of the process. But there must be enuf clues in the verbiage.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________
    *We've just had that Japan tsumami find its way ACROSS THE PACIFIC into a couple harbors here on the California coast that made the news. Crescent City harbor was mangled pretty bad. Santa Cruz harbor, which is essentially a marina, had a sudden two foot surge that sunk twenty boats damaged hundreds more and tore docking apart. Ariels apparantly OK. (See Discussion page for videos.)
    Murphey's law always applies to boats - if it can it will happen.
    All lines leading to a boat should be through CLOSED CHOCKS. One wave, One twist, turn, nod of the boat can panama a rope out of an open chock.
    Last edited by ebb; 03-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.