+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Here is the new bottom deck in the port cockpit locker.
    Attached Images  

The forward bulkhead in the port cockpit locker. When completed, the locker will be sealed off from the interior of the boat.
    Attached Images  

Approximate location where the propane tanks will go UNDER the deck (one will be outboard of the tank in the photo).
    Attached Images  

Quarter berth is moved back into starboard cockpit locker. It will be sectioned off from hatch by creating a small storage locker under the hatch cover that will be sealed off from the interior.
    Attached Images  

Starboard quater berth from the main cabin. Photo on bulkhead is of Cape Dory 25 from same the angle. Appears to be a model for the modification.
    Attached Images  

The new (yet to be installed) mast base step.
    Attached Images  

It will move as shown by the capitan.
    Attached Images  

Ebb
    Holy Hot Tomale! There's lots of really good stuff goin' on out there in CA. (Unfortunately none of it has to do with the 'gubinatorial' race-Coleman all the way, right? Finish your boat fast.)
    As always you have first-class work all the way on 338. Love the outboard well. It looks 'wet' to me but hey I lack ALOT of experience when it comes to sailing these boats. Did you scrap the aft cockpit scuppers or am I not really seeing what I think I'm seeing? We'll be watching the propane locker ever so closely as I'm trying to find a place to put them on 113. I was thinking a small locker forward because even with a pretty good heel the drain vent would still be above the waterline though I don't anticipate being on any tack for several days at a time and it would mean a longer run of supply hose inside the cabin(think propain not propane). I don't want to put one topside because no matter what they look footlockers lashed to the deck and besides that's where the genset and A/C belong. Port cockpit locker has a smaller rectangular access cut into the floor. What has Ebb planned for that bugger? Quarter berth, fantastico! Even the remainder of the aft bulkhead looks comfortable. And finally, how 'bout that mast step! I think I'll have to add one of those to our order.
    I'm jealous Ebb, tell us what's what! It's so humid here the tyvek sticks like a wet suit and restrict your movements. I've given up trying untill we get cooler, drier air. Tony G

Talking

Thanks Bill, more forensics for an emerging body of evidence!

Hey, Tony, too bad about the wet where you are. Here, it's just the epoxy going off in ten minutes and dripping gallons of sweat into the work.

The OB well as you see it would indeed be wet. The hole is still in its grinded back state. Will try some ideas out on just how to close it up a bit. Soon.

The aft scuppers have a patch still on them from the final leveling. Never got round to the final color coat or cutting the hole free. Wear is doing the job.

Man, I have Agonized over the propane locker. That little stubby bulkhead under the locker-lid scupper isn't glassed in yet. Putting the locker there makes the only remaining exterior locker space very short and small. But the gas would be right next to the appliance. Though much too close to the waterline. Any feedback on that, guys? Couldn't use the stove, probably, except in the marina. Or on a port tack. Maybe here one could use one of those ball-in-cage backflow devices??? I mean on the thru hull drain out the side of the locker!

It'll take a bit of Houdini to glass it in properly. In fact, getting the bottom of the whole locker in took 1/2 an hour of jockying! The bottom of the locker is above the level of the cockpit deck and tilts toward it for draining.

I may go with a square rather than round (shopmade) hatch to get better access to regulator, gauge and hose. You need a 12 1/2" hole to get those 10# (2 1/2 gal) tanks in. And they are not a common size. A slightly shorter version than I got of these are available from W.M. (They don't 'stock' these catalog items so you can't go in and actually measure them - the catalog sez they are 12 1/2 " tall - mine from a propane service at $38 a pop are 14 - But I was desparate!)

Because under the cockpit is home to the battery box (yet to come,) that access hole in the locker is just that. You need to get to any part of the hull with relative ease. If I put another stubby bulkhead under the locker deck. I'll be able to use that area for extra stowage, and not loose stuff down under. Underneath the proposed propane locker there is space for mounting electrical support toys with access behind the ladder and under the bridge deck.

I have also put in longitudinal bulkheads that run along the edge of the cockpit underneath. They run from the lazarette bulkhead to the companionway blkhd. And provide another kind of stringer in the rise of the hull from the keel. Have we got Strong or what!!!
    Last edited by ebb; 08-15-2003 at 10:55 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    A Mighty Ariel to be sure.

But, the boat won't be complete without an oceangoing wine rack.

http://www.drycreekvineyard.com/nautical/wine_rack.html

How Do you find this stuff Cpete?

How about that rack... a 4 bottle carbon fibre & teak rack for an 8 month voyage! I guess the wine ain't for quaffing. In choosing yer luxuries, you should also include an argon gas cylinder for topping off opened bottles to keep the wine from oxydizing. They might consider freeze drying the wine to go with their alpine cuisine to save space - or putting a bladder in the bilge and recycling the glass to save weight! I heard once that the sloshing of unbottled cabernet in a tanker's bilge accelerates the aging nicely! Like a two week vovage and you get ten year old wine.

Can't afford the wine I like to drink, but why shouldn't any Ariel consider making ale like the great Chichester, wasn't it.? I believe you once gave us some pix of the famous sloshed skipper and all on that! But Not the recipe or a diagram of the gear! Now There is some gear you might lash to yer mast for lack of a locker!!!
    Last edited by ebb; 08-15-2003 at 04:11 PM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Sir Francis and his beer tap

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...useful+project

Of course, Sir Francis also brought along a good selection of wine and liquor. He had to stop in Australia for more supplies and added the following.

Could have used a little rum.

Here it is
    Attached Images  

Francis welding a fried egg?

C'pete, Thanks again for another shot of KBE Sir Francis!
    Was going to comment after looking at the list of liguid stores that it was no wonder he had to have a 'self-leveling chair.' But in quantity there's hardly enuf to get around the Horn! There's a site kept by his son in honor of his courageous odds-beater dad. Found it on the internet thru google. Gives a chronology, back of the photos, that proves he was an amazing survivor. He beat cancer eg to make his round the world run. His map business has a site still. He also wrote a whole bunch of books...you might say he was another crazy writer...but British.

This weekend we got the Yamaha mounted on the clamp-board. Moving the mounting position forward and the size of the unit means I have to take the arm off and place the controls in the well. [uhhh, the cockpit foot well] Didn't want to do that!

The center of the prop on this motor is 16" below the waterline! Will have to consult with an expert on this situation.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-18-2003 at 08:42 AM.

Ebb,
    How are you sealing and venting the propane locker from the rest of the boat ?

+ Reply to Thread