+ Reply to Thread

Thread: outboard well plug....

Hybrid View

You can do it without the "www." too to simplify things. i.e. "site:pearsonariel.org sculling" (I edited my original post to reflect this.)

The FireFox browser will also let you add a "Search Engine" using this same idea. I'll have to research it though, it was a long time ago that I last did it.
    Last edited by mbd; 02-24-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I was looking at a Harbor 20 that has a swing out electric motor (trolling motor) that hides in the aft lazerette. Its a nice set up that needs no hole in the bottom of the boat and of course is only for light or no wind as it doesn't have much thrust. You can google Harbor 20 images and see a pic of the set up. I have never been very fond of gasoline on any boat and was thinking of engineering (southern engineering) something similar on my Ariel. Sounds like the outboards tend to leave the boat a little heavy on the stearn. Haven't heard much about the torquedo electric motors but they are a little stronger than the typical trolling motor. Anybody think that sounds crazy? If I had an inboard I would certainly consider the electric conversion
    P.S. Bills job must be a pretty tough and thankless job as he has to keep up with all the new comers like me from just blabbing and posting away, so I just want to take my hat off for all the hard work he does. It takes a very vigilant person to keep up with all that. Thanks to Bill I'm already a little better about looking through the old wisdom on here.

Quote Originally Posted by captcraig View Post
    P.S. Bills job must be a pretty tough and thankless job as he has to keep up with all the new comers like me from just blabbing and posting away, so I just want to take my hat off for all the hard work he does. It takes a very vigilant person to keep up with all that. Thanks to Bill I'm already a little better about looking through the old wisdom on here.
    And, to continue . . . please search on electric outboard motors, etc. There are a couple of people on the board presently involved with making such a conversion.

Swing out mount

Searched and searched but didn't see a post on a swing out mount like the ones on the Harbor 20. Probably wasn't holding my mouth right. Maybe the Slocum approach to an auxiliary is the way to go. I certainly enjoy his company anyway.

Check Valve

Ebb, I suppose if using the outboard hole as a large scupper one could put a large flapper valve in the small access behind the rudder post to prevent back flow. Do you think back flow would be a problem in heavy following seas? I had a Cal 20 with the outboard well in the floor of the cockpit and always expected more slosh than I ever really got. Funny story about that Cal 20 if anybody is interested.

Plug in the Lazarette

This may seem a bit heretical, but after sailing "Sinbin" upwind from Angel Island to Fortman Basin against a front, I decided I was sick of bailing. So, we sealed the plug with Sika flex, beefed up the transom from the inside with glass and plywood backing plates, bought an outboard bracket from West, and hung the outboard off the transom. That was in 1995. Three outboards and a standing rigging later, "Sinbin's" transom is still intact. Down below, she is dry as a bone.

+ Reply to Thread