Thread: Ariel #417 (IRIS)

Threaded View

Ariel #417 (IRIS)

I just Bought my first sailboat, a 1966 Pearson Ariel #417. She is in relatively good shape for the age and price. She came with a new full batten main, spinnaker, new sail covers, new vhf, tiller tamer, marine stereo and a nice new stainless folding ladder. The decks are solid, zero soft spots and all attachment points to the deck are solid. The boat is currently not named so that will have to be taken care of.

She is in sail away condition as soon as I get my motor, I just bought a Tohatsu 6hp outboard online. Other than the motor she is ready to go except for tlc. and minor (to me) maintenance.

The port lights leak a little, I will have to re-bed them and or replace. I will be installing new running rigging and replacing the old lifelines. The motor well/lazarette needs paint really bad, but that is a personal preference and not entirely necessary. I'm in dire need of some new dock lines as well. It would please me to refinish the deck with new paint but the marina where it is at requires full tenting so reluctantly that will have to be put off until I can figure out something later. After moving aboard I will be getting rid of that goofy alcohol stove and going with a decent propane stove setup where the tank is stored on one side of the engine well lazarette. Will a 20# tank fit in the lazarette?

I plan on cruising the Chesapeake until next winter and then head for a warmer climate. I have been wanting to buy a sailboat since 2007 and now after lots of saving, reading and planning I finally did it. I will be living aboard and I love the simplicity and all the nice storage drawers and locker on the Ariel. I kind of dislike that it does not have some sort of dedicated dinette or fold down table like some other similar boats. I plan on putting $5000-$7000 to get her to bristol shape and cruising condition. There is still the original icebox, which to me is an entire waste of precious space.

When buying and looking I took many things into consideration. The criteria was, a seaworthy and proven design, not too big or small, keel hung rudder or skeg hung, a tiller arrangement and in good sound condition for a good price. I don't think I can have done any better from some of the other neglected vessels I have seen. Other candidates to fit the bill were CD-25, CD-25D, CD-27, Alberg 30, 28' Pearson Triton. I really wanted a Triton, those certainly do look yar. Well, especially for my first "real" sailboat I think I made the right choice. I have previously owned a small Hobie catamaran and borrowed my neighbors 14' pram from time to time and that's about the extent of my sailing experience. This is certainly bigger and I am impressed with the huge amount of storage where the inboard is supposed to be. I will be filling it with provisions. As a bonus I still have space left over for my scuba gear and (2) 80CF tanks.

I plan on setting her up for cruising, adding a bow roller and a good bit of chain and a new gen anchor. I was thinking about a bollard/bit setup like on faith, I have a dilemma the deck it seems like there isn't much room for a bow roller unless I reconfigure the setup on the bow. Pics to follow. Questions and comments are welcome.

One more question. The scupper/sink drains have NO SEACOCKS! That, to me is terrifying. How would I go about resolving this issue? Since it appears to be hoses clamped to a tube of glass. Even right now as I type this, there is possibility of catastrophic failure even though everything appears to be in good shape with good clamps.

-TD
    Last edited by ariel417; 11-21-2012 at 05:36 AM. Reason: add to