+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Njord Commander Hull 105

Glad to hear you are doing better, Robert, but also sorry to hear you went through some rough spots. I sincerely hope you find some suitable partners to rub Njord the right way. It sounds like a generous offer and a great opportuity for someone to get their feet wet. If we were only closer.
    My home has a keel.

I know a few sailors here in the bay who rely on their crew for sailing AND boat maintenance. It is actually a great scenario - for BOTH parties!
    - I did lots of my pre-Mephisto Cat sailing in exactly a this sort of set-up...

This site is a bit limited geographically - (I do hope you get some replies here!) However you should try sites like craigslist; they have active sites in several cities in Virginia. It is free, easy to do, and you can find some good people (also a weirdo, or two! - but you can sort them out to end-up with a good reliable group.)

Good Luck!

Robert,
    I am interested and know exactly where your beloved Commander is. I have walked the docks all over Hampton, Portsmouth, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, etc., and have seen your boat in her slip. I have not been on the water in over a year. Actually it was last spring that I brought a Pearson Commander down the Chesapeake from Saint Micheaels, MD to Elizabeth City, NC. If my memory serves me correctly it was an eight day transit. Anyways, I have sailing experience but am always looking to learn more. I just want to get out on the water. I also am competant on the maintenance side of the house. Please see my work on "Ceili" Commander #256 for examples. Although I don't have any spare money to contribute, I will devote some of my time and experience for a mutual beneficial partnership. I can be reached on my work cell at (252) 435-7219 Monday - Thursdays (generally) and evenings at my home: (252)336-7441.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Njord Commander Hull 105

This spring I will be putting my old Commander on the hard and restoring/refitting it again. My health has returned and i miss sailing the old boat, but have I have another more important reason. I am a member of the DAV Chapter # 22, Disabled American Veterans. I met a young Marine at a 7-11 here, a few blocks away from the Naval Hospital Portsmouth Virginia, The young Marine was missing the bottom part of one leg, and still bandaged. No one in the store helped him in the door, most ignored him turning away their eyes, even though he was having trouble getting in the door...I got to him from my car and helped him with the door, he seemed very despondent. I gave him my card and told him I lived near by and if he needed anything Got to talking while getting him coffee and found out that he sailed but thought that it would be too much to sail now.
    I told him that he could still sail and tried to encourage him. I told him that I wished that my boat was sea worthy and would have either taken him out for a sail or lent him the boat for a day. Well, I am going to get my boat back in shape and make it easier to sail and donate it or offer sailing outings/lessons to our returning and disabled veterans. The Commander is the perfect day-sailer for doing that with the large cockpit and comfortable cabin and I cannot think of a safer boat. I plan on doing somethings to the rigging besides the usual chores, maybe a furler/hoyt jib boom, small Yanmar in place of the outboard, and whatever else I need to make the boat safer, easier to sail and more comfortable. I also like the idea of a gull-wing sail without a back stay....any ideas would be appreciated.

Help...?

Good on ya, Robert.
    Getting involved was a great thing to do!
    Giving your new friend an opprotunity to get sailing is wonderful, no matter what he says, and if you persist, he is in for experiences that will take his mind off his tradgedy.

I might have been one of those in the shop that didn't know how to react - or maybe even not understand his predicament. We don't want to get involved because it might be insulting to the man dealing with his reality. Hard to imagine what the guy is going through, maybe
    he doesn't want to be patronized.......and all that sort of stuff, rightly or wrongly.

You saw it correctly. Hope Njord gets back in the water fast!
    Maybe he'd like to see the boat on the hard.
    How much fun it is putting a new bottom on the boat (Tom Sawyer style!)

At some point he'll be fitted with a prosthetic
    and will easily navigate getting on & off and sailing!

Best to you both and the club.

This being the "Gallery", how about some pix?
    Last edited by ebb; 10-31-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Hey Robert, glad to hear you're doing better and intending to get C-105 back on the water. Maybe Chance is still available and can lend a hand to get her ship shape and ready to host some guests? All the best to you veterans - your service is truly appreciated!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Robert,
    While most of my disability resides between my ears, I still have enough of the right stuff there to say, Thank you. You did the right thing at the store. Who knows why some paths cross and others...merely pass by. Like the venerable, older Njord, the young marine is lucky one in that chance meeting. My hat is off to you for your efforts. November 10th and 11th are marks of pride and pain for many.
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread