+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Roller Furler

This is like writing out how to tie a shoe...I'm not sure I'm up to it, but here goes.

The sail cover for the furled genoa is rectangular in shape, 12 inches by 30 feet, made of sunbrella pieces sewn together. Along the long edges are the two sides of a zipper -- actually two zippers, one that goes up the sides for about 5 feet from the bottom, a small gap, then another zipper that runs to the top of the cover. Also at the top of the cover is a grommet.

Tie the end of the old jib halyard through the grommet, wrap the top of the cover around the sail, start the zipper -- and hoist a bit of the cover and zip, hoist and zip until the cover's to the top. Bring the jib sheets out through the gap, coil them and hang on the sides of the bow pulpit, engage the bottom zipper and run it up to the gap. Cleat the furling line, tie a hank of line around the cover and sail for extra security. Presto, a covered sail.

It's easy, clean and shippy.

--Dave

very happy now.

Will Look into CDI AND Pro=furl, for sure! thanks .... ebb

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Here is a picture of my furler sail.

The foam luff pad is on the leading edge.

The UV cover does add some weight, no doubt about that.
    Attached Images  

I saw a lot of boats with torn canvas scraps waving in the breeze from their furling sustems after major storms/hurricanes.
    I would take the sail off in preparation for a bad enough storm where I would have tie up into the mangroves.
    But if they did this at anchor/ boatyard... they must do it at sea too.

Commanderpete, the sail looks great.
    Last edited by Janice Collins; 09-13-2002 at 04:40 PM.

Personally, I like the convenience of the sunbrella on the sail.
    So, there it is fairly tightly wrapped on the stay and protected:

Dave,
    Do you have a photo of your furler sleeve. Is it off the shelf, or did you invent it?

Remember those woven grass tubes that when you put a finger in each end you couldn't get your fingers loose? That's what we need in small nylon line to keep the furler from getting ripped open. Maybe it can sit in a little bag under the drum. Attach spare halyard hoist until the sail is captured tight. Could be rigged to the cockpit. [probably already exists]
    Last edited by ebb; 09-13-2002 at 07:31 PM.

It's called a 'sock' and they have been around for ages , most sailmakers can make one . We had one on a C&C 40 that I used to race on .

I'll see if I can find a picture of the genoa cover (I thought socks were the closed tubes that held spinnakers - but "sock" works for me.)
    As Mike said, these have been around awhile, but few people use them. I'm guessing most people prefer to furl and forget. But I have never liked the idea of a hunk of sunbrella dragging on the sail in light air.
    I think Sailrite has kits or instructions for these socks.

The ones for spinakers are called 'chute scoops' , the C&C 40 I raced on had one sock that covered whatever sail we left in the groove at the end of the day . It was zippered on one side and had blocks and lines to hoist and retrieve .
    Personally , after dealing with these things , I'll go with luff and foot covers sewn on , it's not that much weight on our little sails .

And to make those things work, it takes 10 men and a small boy

We prefer a woman in a bikini over the small boy , but it did take 3 guys to haul the 180 on deck and hoist it !

Gosh, I didn't realize that putting the "sock" on was so difficult! It takes the two of us about three minutes -- what're we doing wrong?
    It's all tradeoffs and preferences.

sock it to the furler

Understand sock concept as alternative to protective edge on the sail. Does the sock protect the sail in extreme wind conditions? Can the sock itself be flagged by the wind or is it tight around the sail?

A light rope net pulled tight over the furled jib was what I was thinking. Like package wrapped. When you let go the halyard it expands and drops. Just a concept for what its worth It would have to be instantly deployable - no zippers on a heaving bow!

Want to protect the whole forestay, furler gear and sail. A sock would be great if it went on like spandex jeans - and with cold fingers.

Sorry Garhauer fans...The official word is "we have no plans to develope a headsail furler." Bummer, I was going to make the generous offer to be their test market guinea pig. Oh well.

Attn: Dave" a while back you stated that you had purchased your CDI Flexible Furler and that it had cost "less than $500" -- could you tell me where your purchased it? I've been told it goes for considerably more and I'd like to save if possible.

Thanks in advance,

David Spaulding

David
    I too have been checking into a furler from CDI. You can buy direct from Cruising Direct via a print-out order form on their web site. If you have the original standing rigging or newer standing rigging of the same size I think you can get a furler(minus headsail modifications) for under five bills but if you have upgraded your standing rigging to say 1/4" or have exceptionally large turnbuckles on lighter 'wire' you'll have to get the CDI FF 6 (direct from my personal x-mas list) which runs a little over five. Tony G

+ Reply to Thread