Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Excellent write up on how to proceed if doing a paint job. Thanks for tips and the photos really show how well it can be done if taken the time and doing all the prep properly. Wow, I see you have had some items rechromed, looks good. Why did you switch the original cleats to those stainless ones? Also, what are those tubular brackets flanking the backstay chainplate? And lastly, is the color of the kiwi grip you have applied one of their "stock" colors or did you have a paint shop tint it to your color choice?

Thanks for the detailed photo spread!
First, Chance...I was not intending to do a "restoration" but rather an updating or refitting...modernizing, if you will. For guidance, I think of the question: "If the boat were to be built today, how would she be outfitted."

Cleats: I never really cared for the marinium varieties used by a lot of builders at that time, and I wanted bright finishes after rechroming the other parts. I suppose the alternative would have been to reg the marinium parts re-anodized. The stemhead fitting was a work of art when I got it back from the chrome shop..specializing in motorcycle parts.

The "tubular brackets" are actually components of the boarding ladder. You can see more details about it in the thread "Boarding ladders" in the tech section of the forum.