Thread: new mast track questions

Threaded View

Hey Jerry, you got in while I was yackin at Bill.
    Recently got on the TidesMarine site and discovered you can attach their system to CLIPS of the same proportions as 7/8" T- track. So if renovation was needed on the mast, that could be done, and instead of reinstalling old track, TidesMarine clips made for their poly track can be used.

I'm aesthetically challenged with that lump of plastic on our airfoil mast. If you have a modern squarish mast, I might go for it. It's also TOO EXPENSIVE, including the special slides needed. And that may be the real reason I find it excessive. Also there are rumblings of the material getting UVed. Since I'm still fooling myself that sailing off into the sunset will be into the South Seas and hotter more direct sun, I can see problems with the plastic. That may be good reason to install it on a full run of stainless sail track. Is there a weight issue?

How high up does the car track go to be optimal for the spnnaker whisker detail?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

WAY LATER EDIT: Sailmaker wants at least one full batten on offshore mainsl. Got StrongTrack samples from TidesMarine...by itself doesn't look all that important, really. It's 15/16" tall... way wider (1 3/8") than the flat (11/16") on the tear-drop mast. The overhang, causes a distinct 'V' on both sides, has to be caulked with something to provide some support and continuity. Epoxy, 5200, silicone are the candidates.
    Have some good experience with ChemLink 10oz gun-grade polyethers. Reasonably priced from roofer's supply. They are adhesive caulks of varying firms. M-1 is structural and very stiff. Duralink is flexible metal to metal caulk, not as hard, many colors. Carefully taped black polyether will disappear with the black polyethylene of the StrongTrack. But it'll be a really noticable black streak between sail and mast...
    Last edited by ebb; 05-14-2015 at 04:49 PM.