Thread: new mast track questions

Threaded View

new mast track questions

litlgull's mast is now stripped of ALL hardware. On its way to a complete rebuild.
    Holes, corrosion, and scars are now filled with LabMetal. All 200 holes except for four 1/2" and the sheavebox have been disappeared and the final sanding before alumiprep/alodine is about to commence.

The original rolled stainless T-track that came off can't go back on - it's rather deminished - the wings seem thin from wear and the width is 13/16" rather than a full 7/8. I could be convinced to use it again if one you sailors say so.

Schaefer has the replacement, but instead of a single length it comes in 12' pieces, which would mean two pesky joints
    - and would cost in the neighborhood of $250.
    Took 6' of fairly large aluminum T-track off the FRONT of the mast, not sure what that was for.
    And I want to add a separate tri-sail track to the left side of the main track. But it doesn't seem possible on this mast.
    The surface upon which the main track is mounted is only 5/8" wide.
    And interesting - because now the original track screw holes are filled and needed sanding - found that the 5/8" wide strip is slightly CONCAVE along its length. Not flat as might be expected.
    But slightly dished, as it is, might actually be the expected!

There are aluminum T-tracks available, of unfamiliar sizes. So the question is:

So what are my options???
    What track should I put back on the mast? Or have I only one choice?
    What slides are best?
    What system is easiest to use? Easiest to maintain? Least amount of tugging.

Would like to hear (see?) any TIPS you have, even if it's not on your boat.
    There won't be another time than this for an upgrade on this gal, this is it! THANKS!
    Last edited by ebb; 12-07-2011 at 01:39 AM.