+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Running Rigging

Running Rigging

Before I forget .... there is a clearance sale and (free shipping til 30 Mar) on lines and rope at www.sailnet.com.

Still avail are 1/4" 1/2" & 5/8" sta-set and sta-set x among others.

Not trying to advertise here, just thought to throw that out as part of the discussion.

I'm planning on upgrading my sheets and was wondering if there is any concensus as to line sizes for the main sheet, etc.

3/8'" seems to be a bit on the small side (not strength wise) but as far as comfort goes. Have any of you guys switched to a larger size and if so what are your feelings in this regard?

I've never had much experience sailing other than throwing an old cut down turnabout sail on my canoe and ......well, maybe I'll go into that much later... Ideas?

Runnin g rigging

I have a 3/8 main sheet on Sirocco.3/8 has a breaking strength of about 3500lbs to 7,000lbs. depending what you use.More than enough for a 160 square foot main sail.All my control blocks are Schaefer #5 series with a breaking strenght of 1750lbs and can go up to 1/2 I just never saw any reason to go larger.I have 1/2 sheets on a 250 square foot 165 genoa,I`m replacing these sheets this year and will probably down size,dont want all the weight 1/2 lines are heavy, or want the extra expense.All of these older boats came with over sized lines.My buddies 34 Crealock has a 1/2 inch main sheet.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 03-23-2002 at 08:18 AM.

New Genoa sheets

Thanks for the heads-up...I want to replace the sheets for my genoa. Can someone explain how to determine proper length for headsail sheets when buying? Obviously, I need to specify a length before I order them. Thanks,

Dan

Genoa sheets

My sheets on Sirocco for the 165 are 26 1/2 feet long,I dont have an inch to spare but I dont like alot of extra line lying around.

genoa sheets

D.Fox,

The manual ...available from this site.... specifies 28' x 7/16" ...
    it may have specified 28 1/2 ' ... can't remember exactly.

I ordered 30' of sta-set 7/16" to be sure. At the time it was available on clearance too. The available items have diminished somewhat so unsure if 7/16" remains. Seems to me that 1/2" & 5/8" are still available as far as the clearance line goes. Still free shipping till 31st of March.

Russ

Running rigging

I think 30 feet is good,it gives you a little more room for jibing,you didnt say what size sail you had.The main sheet is 55 feet long,I hope thats not what you ordered.

whoops!!!

D.Fox .....S.Airing

I ordered 60' to allow for 2pcs 30' each for genoa sheets. Sorry for the lapse.

If you need photo enhancing software see my post in the newby/ faq section of the board.

FREE to use and try until such time you want to pay for it.

Real nice & well documented and very agile shareware.

www.hamrick.com is the website

check it out

Running Rigging

I plan to replace the halyards on #202. the Manual suggests replacing the wire with rope under "Performance Modifications". I'm not that interested in performance as it relates to racing, but I am interested in safety and ease of use.

What's the opinion out there on the idea of replacing the rope/wire halyards with all rope (of a good no-stretch type)?

If you have ever been "fish-hooked" by an old wire halyard you wouldn't even ask .

Since I have not been up my mast, but have been wondering about all rope halyards, Mark's question might be rephrased, "Do the main and halyard sheaves on top of the mast accommodate all rope halyards as originally manufactured?
    Scott

I'm in the process of re-rigging the mast on Commander 105 for Robert Lemasters , the old was rope and the new will be rope too . All the hardware at the masthead looked good .
    When the sails are down , the rope is in the sheave even in a wire/rope halyard .
    The problem is when you go the other way and replace rope with wire in blocks designed for rope only , that will eat the sheave up very quickly . At least that has been my experience .

Gee, Mike, that sounds like an emphatic rope not wire response.

With the older ropes of 20+ years ago , wire/rope was the way to go . The new ropes don't stretch at all like the stuff we had up to the 1980's .
    When the Ariels were built the wire/rope was laid (twisted) not braided and would stretch like a rubber band , you had to get the wire down to the winch or cleat to get a good set.

We just used Stay-set X for all of Commander 105's rigging , I did use 3/32" wire for the main topping lift ( it was rope ), as it is shackled to the masthead , the last few feet down to the boom will be rope .
    Only reason to use wire , it is cheaper than really good rope , but do you have the fids and a knowledge of splicing ?

I'd have to pay for the rope/wire splice, although West Marine sells a 60' rope wire combo pre-spliced. On the other hand, I had been looking at Sta-set X for the halyards. Looks like a good choice, low stretch, easier to splice myself (learn a new skill!), and as you pointed out, easier on the hands.

Thanks for the input.

rope halyard

replaced the wire/rope halyard on NOETA this spring with 3/8" sta-set X and all is well & quieter.

I initially thought the sheeve might be too narrow but seems ok....afterall it handled the rope portion of the combo before..

GO ROPE!

+ Reply to Thread